The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Advise about my cactus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by April07 on September 29, 2006 07:42 AM
Hello everyone
I loves cactus. When I saw them in the nursery, I really like to see them. Wanted to have them but afraid that I am not good in looking after them.
Just bought three cactus from a market.
They are almost 3 weeks now. I didn't give them water and they re sitting in the window side. They are flowering but seem to be lesser now. I really wonder. Do I need to water them or feed them yet? I am worry I am hurting them. I don't want to see them look unhappy.
One of the cactus seem has now place. wanted to transplant it but worry of doing wrongly.
Can anyone give me an advise? Really appreciate it.

By the way, how do I put a pic here? I click on image. it ask for url. I don't have that as it is in my desktop or my folder. Sorry of my silly question
by Tonya on September 29, 2006 09:02 AM
April07-

First of all Welcome to the forum! [wavey]

As for the pictures- you will have to upload them to an online photo hosting site such as photobucket (click on the link and sign up-it's free). Once you have the image uploaded, copy the URL link and paste it into your reply here.

Most cacti like to be watered when a finger inserted into the soil up to an inch is dry. Use that as a guideline and maybe research the specific type of cacti you have. If you have had them for 3 weeks, I would say give tham a drink, but cannot suggest a feeding until we know what type of cactus it is. If you have a tag from the store, or if you could post pics, we can help you more.

Best of luck to you!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by April07 on September 30, 2006 10:19 AM
Awww... Thank you for the advise. Tonya
One of the pot, I can't even put my finger in as no space. =)
Hmm... I got them in yahoo.
Maybe I can let you see them there.
by Tonya on September 30, 2006 10:27 AM
Give me the Yahoo address for them and I will see what I can do for ya....

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by April07 on September 30, 2006 10:45 AM
Hi Tonya and wonderful members.....

This is the cactus....
 -
by Tonya on September 30, 2006 10:59 AM
I saved it to PB...here it is-

-

I'm not sure what it is, but I would give it a slight watering and by the time you need to water more- someone will know the answer! I love it! If it has babies...wanna trade for something?? [grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by April07 on September 30, 2006 11:02 AM
Sure... but I really don't know when it wll have babies. hehehe. And also not sure if it survive. I just so scare to transfer it cause afraid I hurt it.
Should I transfer it to bigger pot as I felt it is too squeak there.
by Tonya on September 30, 2006 11:08 AM
I would wait until someone who knows more about it comes by- Some cacti like to be "root bound" Was there a tag on the pot at all? Don't worry too much about the blooms fading, that is normal. Most flowers will flower for a few months or so and then go through a "dormant" phase. It appears to be a VERY healthy plant!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by comfrey on September 30, 2006 11:08 AM
They are very pretty and look nice and healthy and happy. I would not do anything at all while they are blooming. They do not look too crowded, so if you just wanted a different pot, make it the same size as what they are in, but wait until they finished blooming, also if you repot, make sure you use soil that has good drainage (and pot has a hole in bottom for drainage)Clay pots work best for cactus, but you can use any pot you like. Cactus like smaller areas, and about watering...Everyone will have a different opinion on this, But here is mine: Someone once ask me how often does it rain in the desert? Well that is how often you need to water cactus. I water mine about once a month and alot of times it is two months before I water, during the winter or cold months I don't water at all. Your cactus will need some sun to remain healthy...a window sill that offers some sun will work, if your winter is cold, be sure there are no cold drafts where your cactus are...Most cactus do not like the cold....The fastest way to kill your cactus is from too much water. They can live for a year without water, but it is not a good idea to do that. About fertilizing them...I do not fertilize mine, but I am sure someone else can advise you about doing that, right now I would do nothing until they finish blooming.

-
 -
by April07 on September 30, 2006 11:17 AM
Thanks a lot for those advise. I am so happy. =)

Some site that I check about cactus, mention not to water on the top. Can I just put water contain and sit the cactus's pot on it? Will that a good idea as I don't want to over water it. Or can I just spray water on it with my water spray.

Still learning and really hope for more cactus as they look good and lovely even they are spiky. Spring time here is wonderful but summer will be about 36-40C sometimes. Will it be too hot for them or burn?

I really appreciate everyone's advise. Thank you so much.
by April07 on September 30, 2006 11:18 AM
Oh thank you Tonya for loading my cactus up for me.
My computer's knowledge is so poor too. also my english language.
Pardon my poor english grammar.
by comfrey on September 30, 2006 11:26 AM
I would not get any water on the blooms, I would try to water from the top also, if you set it into a container of water it might be suck up too much water and not dry out fast enough which could kill your cactus, so as Tonya suggested, just a small amount of water...IF THE SOIL IS DRY...if the soil is not dry then DO NOT WATER AT ALL!!!!!!!

-
 -
by comfrey on September 30, 2006 11:30 AM
Tonya..Australia has some very strict rules about plants being shipped in or out of that country, so a trade would proable not work out. That is one of the first things I thought about when I seen the pictures...I wish I could find cactus like that around here, but I'm sure we could mail order someplace and get some like these. If I come up with a place I'll let you know.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: