The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I GOT IT!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: I Got A Willy!| Next thread: I guess they like tomatoes too.. »
Back to Thread index
by badplanter on September 10, 2006 12:34 AM
(well, what is it? I penny, a nickel? Hold you horses and let me get the dirt off!-A DIME!)
(We're in the money, 42nd Street)

Just kidding.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Actually, i finally got my Prickly Pear Cacti Last night. Some of the pieces are a little wrinkly, but i'm not sure why...
I'll post some pics as soon as i find my camera.... [dunno]

I really need to know how to care for it-any tips would be greatly appreciated.
The plant is about 9in tall, and 7.5in long at farthest sides...The pot is only 2 inches...
Each little pear section thing ( [Big Grin] ) is about an inch and a half long...
Thanks again for all help!!!
ANY care tips what-so-ever will be of great help! [thumb]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by plants 'n pots on September 10, 2006 01:03 AM
A couple of questions...

Where did you get it?
Is this a houseplant, or are you planning on growing it outdoors?
When you got it, where was it growing?

You knew you could count on me for more questions, right?!? [Big Grin] [dunno] [Embarrassed] [thumb] [tongue]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by badplanter on September 10, 2006 01:50 AM
yup.....Lynne is the official question-person! [Big Grin]

I kind of want to keep it indoors, but if grows better outdoors, i'll gladly put it out...I got it at the local mom-and-pop-shop, family owned florist. They had it kept inside, and watered it very, very little...

I'm open for any other questions....don't be afraid to ask! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by plants 'n pots on September 10, 2006 02:26 AM
okie dokie then... [Big Grin]

The reason I was asking is, I have a nice sized patch of prickly pear that grows outdoors. I've never grown this particular one indoors before, but am planning on taking some inside this year.

You will need to give it as much sun as possible indoors. Also, do not water it very much - probably once a month is more than enough.

It could be wrinkled for 2 reasons - either it got too wet, or needs water. Sounds crazy, right? If the other pieces are healthy, then take care of those and don't mind the wrinkly ones - they might come around for you - if not, you could cut those off if they get worse.

Can't wait to see the pictures - will know more then!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by badplanter on September 10, 2006 02:39 AM
quote:
Can't wait to see the pictures - will know more then!

as soon as i find that camera....... [Big Grin]
I'm getting a better one soon, one that has better quality pics, if you ever have seen some of my others.... [Roll Eyes]
I watered it last night a little, and i'll make sure to give as much light as my aloe... [Big Grin]

Thanks you so much, Lynne!

-
 -
by Tonya on September 10, 2006 10:57 AM
My prickly pear generally gets wrinkly from lack of water. They are one type of cactus that needs more water than most. It will survive on little water, but thrives on more. Water it small amounts about once a week inside. Quick draining soil or sandy soil and I would say- keep it away from cool drafts. Good luck to you!! Any time you would like more...let me know, I have a yard full of small peices that I keep mowing down...

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by badplanter on September 10, 2006 11:06 AM
Thanks you so much, Tonya! [thumb]
It's going to stay indoors now.

I wanted to mkae sure what I was doing with it, first...I wouldn't want you to mail anything and then have it die because of me not knowing what to do with it! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by badplanter on September 15, 2006 07:37 AM
Well,i finally got a pic of it, although it isn't very good--this is another pic my lil' brother took...Anyway... here it is:

-

I think part of my aloe is in the backround...ignore that... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Tonya on September 15, 2006 09:04 AM
Nice Mark! [clappy] [clappy] I know you are excited!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: I Got A Willy!| Next thread: I guess they like tomatoes too.. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: