The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

prickly pear

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: prices| Next thread: Prickly Pear »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on August 27, 2006 02:40 PM
My prickly pear is doing very well this summer - to the point that it was hanging over the garden onto the walk. I cut off a few pieces and finally had something to put in the multi-pot planter I had bought earlier this summer.

Does anyone know if I can overwinter prickly pear indoors here in zone 6?
 -

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by cinta on August 27, 2006 02:51 PM
That is soooo cute. Yes you can keep it inside. I kept mine in the house for 4 years and outside in the summer.

I did not know they could be kept outside until I forgot to bring them in one year. They survived and flowered. I felt stupid dragging it in every year when I could have left it outside. LOL!!!! I grow mine in the garden now and have one pot inside in a sunny window. I only water it about twice a month.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by plants 'n pots on August 27, 2006 03:26 PM
Thanks, cinta!
I, too, keep mine outside - it is planted in a garden, and gets very black and yucky looking each winter, but then greens and plumps up each spring with the warmer weather.

The only reason I would want to bring this planter inside it that it's ceramic and would most likely crack outside here.

-
 -
by cinta on August 27, 2006 05:42 PM
I thought that was why you wanted to grow it inside. That is also why I have one inside. I have it in a ceramic pot and I know it will not survive outside during the winter.

This is mine.

Click to enlarge
 -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by plants 'n pots on August 28, 2006 04:49 AM
Very nice - I like your planters!

-
 -
by Triss on August 31, 2006 03:37 PM
Both of you have very neat planters. Looks very good!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by flowerpower313 on August 31, 2006 04:50 PM
I keep it as a houseplant in the winter and on the deck in the summer. It is still small. I wonder if it would be perennial here? Maybe next year I will try a small section.
by plants 'n pots on August 31, 2006 04:58 PM
Hi flowerpower!

I live a bit south of you in Rockland County, and have a nice bunch of it growing outside now for about 5 years or so. It gets very black and mushy looking in the winter under all the snow, but amazes me each spring when it plumps up and turns green. It flowers yellow beautiful flowers each year for me - each only lasting 1 day.

-
 -
by badplanter on August 31, 2006 05:08 PM
I live a bit south of Lynne, and i was planning to get my own prickly pear in the spring or sometime over the winter (if i can find one)
This thread can help me get started so i know what to do! They seem like an amazing cacti! [thumb]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Tonya on August 31, 2006 09:53 PM
They really are an amazing cacti! My mother had a HUGE one in Tennessee when I was growing up and in the winter it would be flat on the ground and my black and tan coonhound would sleep on top of it(much to my mothers dismay! [Razz] ) But, then every spring it would "rise" up and bloom. She always called it a "Resurrection cactus". It wasn't until the last year or two that I realized it was a Prickly Pear! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] It is everywhere here...grows wild in my yard. Mark- If you would like some, I will send you a couple peices!

Good luck with it in the house, Lynne! Both you and Cinta have really cool planters! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by pinguicula on September 01, 2006 03:13 AM
if it blooms. pollinate the flowers, the fruit is delicious

ty5667457
by Tonya on September 01, 2006 07:52 AM
I saw that on one of the cooking shows recently, what does it taste like?

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: prices| Next thread: Prickly Pear »
Back to Thread index