The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How long until I see results???????????????

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by frustratedattimes on July 12, 2004 03:10 PM
I took my broken crepe myrtle cuttings and used root hormone, and stuck them in the ground.

Then on the way home the other day I saw a yellow butterfly bush along the road, and I guess you all can figure out what I did [devil] [Embarrassed] [lala] .

When I got my new cuttings home, I also treated them with root hormone, and and stuck them in the ground.

Now my ? is this. How long do I have to wait to see if they root or just become sticks poking out of my yard? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [perplexed]

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by Phil and Laura on July 12, 2004 03:38 PM
Hmmm, That could be a long wait. For this to be successful, you will have to make sure that the cuttings NEVER DRY OUT the soil will have to be damp, almost wet. And..what type of rooting compound did you use? there are types for rooting woody and semi-woody plants, and rooting compounds for soft stems. Ideally, the cuttings are kept in potting mix, in a "controlled enviroment"( someway to control humidity) till the roots develop. Keep em watered Frustrated! [thumb]
by frustratedattimes on July 12, 2004 05:17 PM
The rooting hormone I used says it is for general use, woody and soft stem cuttings. I put the cuttings into the ground on the NE side of my house to keep them away from the afternoon heat here in steamy Georgia, (trust me when I say it is a humid enviroment) [Roll Eyes] , in my composted flower bed. Yes I am keeping them moist/wet and keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the reply.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
by Jiffymouse on July 13, 2004 01:10 AM
frustrated... i don't remember where in ga you said you were, but i do know savannah has been having some 100% humidity days [Frown]
by Meg on July 13, 2004 01:28 AM
Jiffy, are you in Savannah? It is so beautiful there, even tho it does get so dang hot. Hubby seriously wanted to find a job in that area, when he was lookin to relocate us from cold winters in PA. We ended up in WV, and it's not so different than where we were...lol. (We were in GA for 3 years, at Ft. Stewart, about 35 or so minutes from Savannah.)

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by frustratedattimes on July 13, 2004 03:16 AM
Me and the wife and kids live about an hour or so East of Atlanta in Monroe. And the humidity has been in the 80 - 90 % range here. [nutz]

by Jiffymouse on July 13, 2004 03:23 AM
hey meg... you must have been in hinesville! we are actually north of savannah, in effingham county, better schools and cheaper land (if you go far enough out) and no military. when we move here, my husband had only been out of the navy a year, and wanted no part of the military. now, he is ok with that, but we still like it where we are at! but... the humidity is still nearing 100% here most days...

frustrated... is that due south of athens? i am not familiar with monroe but my daughter went to uga for a while... i know that athens is about an hour or just under northeast of atlanta.

ooh ooh oooh, newsflash, we are down to 84% at the high school right now!
by frustratedattimes on July 13, 2004 03:34 AM
We are half way between athens and Atlanta, near Loganville on Hwy 78. Humidy is bad right now, had a couple of thunderstorms earlier. [Eek!] [Eek!]

by Meg on July 13, 2004 04:17 AM
Seems we've had some really high humidity here as well, in WV. I was so sticky just from going in and out of the building I work out of, with no a/c. UGH. I was drenched in sweat when I left there today.

Yep yep, we were in Hinesville. Right on the edge of it, going out of town. We had some awful slumlord. We eventually got post housing, in our last months there...lol. But Savannah, was always nice to visit. And we were to Tybee Island a few times too. It is really just an awesome place.

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: