The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Problems with Hibiscus in Planter

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: problems w/ misc cacti| Next thread: Problems with Morning Glorys. »
Back to Thread index
by AngelsGardener on July 01, 2006 10:06 AM
Being that we live in Zone 5, Hibiscus are not something that you want to plant in the ground unless you want it to only live for one season. My mom bought two exact plants at the same time and place, the one is doing great, the other has a lot of yellowing leaves [Razz] . Do you have any thoughts on what may have caused this? It has been brough in on cold nights.
by RugbyHukr on July 01, 2006 02:16 PM
hibiscus are hardy in zone 5. the rose-of-sharon type as well as perennials w/ dinner plate sized flowers.

the chinese hibiscus and blue hibiscus (alyogone)that are popular in the southwest cannot be outdoors in your climate.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Buglady on July 13, 2006 05:49 PM
depends on how the leaves are yellowing...

1. could be nutritional
2. they are picky plants, they get cold they turn yellow and drop the leaves. If they great sprayed with the wrong products, they turn yellow and drop their leaves. If they don't get enough water or get too much they turn yellow and drop their leaves... but they usually flush back.

Have photos?

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by luis_pr on July 15, 2006 03:40 AM
Hello, angelsgardener. Here are some suggestions:

1. Hibiscus drop old leaves by first turning them yellow. If it is a limited amount of leaves then this could be the cause.

2. Too much moisture can result in yellow leaves. Cut back on watering if the soil feels wet; aim for moist soil instead.

3. Hibiscus prefers acidic soil but will tolerate alkaline soil up to a point. If the leaves are yellow but the veins stay green, you may want to acidify the soil or add some iron chelates to the soil around the plants (available in local nurseries).

Good luck with your plants,
Luis
by Jimmy V on July 19, 2006 05:22 AM
I use Apple cider Vinegar in my water to add acid. Luis you know about this water here your neighbor(Irving) I let it set at least 24 hours after I draw it and add the Vinegar. Also my tropicals I have in pots are well drained I bottom water mine and have very little problem. They will drop leaves when i see one yellow I pull it off and put in trash so as not to get it on the soil just in case of a parasite. I am organic and use organic spray and fertilizer so far so good. You can see mine in my photobucket feel free to look at all of it.

- Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.
 - GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops! Jimmy's Photos
 - Jimmy's Blog

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: problems w/ misc cacti| Next thread: Problems with Morning Glorys. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: