The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

other aloe

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by margaret e. pell on June 09, 2006 01:04 PM
Hi, all. I'm an aloe nut [grin] . I grow a lot of them and IMHO A. Vera is one of the least pretty, though the most accessable. If anyone wants to try some others, I'd sugest A. bellatula, brevifolia, broomii, fleurentiniorum, vacillans. There are so many more. My bella is almost always in bloom and sets seed with anything I cross it with. A. variegata is nice, too, blooms often, but wants a LOT of sun to be happy. My brevifolia has never bloomed (had it 3 years) but offsets a lot and makes a nice contrast to vera. All these will stay 'house size.' Some are trees. Here are two NFP sites where you can get them and many more, with lots of info about the genera. Don't limit yourselves!!!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by margaret e. pell on June 09, 2006 01:07 PM
Argh!!! Here are the sites I mentioned [Embarrassed]

http://www.aloestudies.org/list.html Don't worry that it says sales for 2004, you can still order them.

http://www.ruthbancroftgarden.org/pages/plantsales_aloe.html

These are just the sales lists. Look around the sites for lots more info

-

by Tonya on June 10, 2006 01:45 AM
Thanks Margaret...I would love to try some new ones now that I know a few of the basics and have you around to ask questions! [gabby] Thanks!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Tonya on June 10, 2006 02:49 PM
I looked at the sites you gave. Do you know anything about wildii, polyphylla, rubroviolacea, bussei, chrysostachys, classenii. They were really neat looking as well. You have me hooked on aloe! I really liked the broomii fleurentiniorium, and variegata. So many aloes, so little time!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by margaret e. pell on June 10, 2006 05:58 PM
I have 2 fleurentiniorium that are both sending up flower spikes right now. They are great. I keep them under lights most of the year and put them out in the summer. They seem to like this treatment. They never get as dark red as in the pic at aloestudies (that's where I saw them and bought them from). I had a polyphylla several years ago, before I invested in growlights (more of a dedicated space investment than monetary) and it languished, then died. I have a veriegata that blooms seasonally and offsets nicely, but it, too, is now under lights except in summer. I have 2 broomii I've grown from seed. They're only about 5" across at this point (3 yrs old this summer), but what a great contrast to vera! They have wonderful black spines. I don't know the others you mentioned. All these plants want dry sun and lots of it. When I put mine out for the summer I put them on the south side of the house right up to the house where the eaves keep the rain off them. I don't know what NC is like for rain/sun but NY is problematic for aloe outside.
Yeah, I know what you mean "So many aloes, so little time!" I'd add, so little space!

-

by Tonya on June 11, 2006 04:16 PM
No kidding, so little space!! We have a family of 4 in a 1000 sq ft house with two 55 gallon fish tanks, a 10 gallon fish tank, a 65 pound black lab mix and all of my plants! I need a carolina room added on so I can move some of the plants out there. I did move my aloes(all except the new one in the blue pot) outside and they are loving it. I also moved a couple others out for the summer. I have taken advantage of the extra room to get extra plants [Roll Eyes] Now I am going to get some more aloes for outside and just find a grow light for this winter! You have SOOOO given me the aloe bug! [kissies]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by margaret e. pell on June 11, 2006 05:25 PM
We had the same set up (4 in a 1000sq.ft. house) for years, but only 1 40gal tank, the dog was a German shepard/Great Dane mix, and there was a 20 lb cat who intimidated the boys. When #5 came along we had to finish the attic because there litterally was no place to put him. Now we've got 2 60 lb dogs, 2 (smaller) cats, the same fish tank, the same kids [Wink] only much bigger, and SO many more plants! I've started growing more from seed just because they are smaller for longer.
"I have taken advantage of the extra room to get extra plants"
Yes, yes, yes, I do the same thing! I put some out in the summer, the house looke barer so I get more. Unfortunately, September will come, and I'll have to bring them all in. There's NEVER enough room in September! This year will be quite difficult as I have to up-pot a bunch of 1 and 2 year seedlings. I'm thinking of telling my oldest (now 22, how'd that happen?) he can't come home from college next year because I turned his room into a conservatory! He's got a really nice SE window! Kids? Plants? [dunno] Whatever.

-

by Tonya on June 11, 2006 06:30 PM
I started out with just a couple of pothos and ivy and a spider plant. Some of mine I have rescued from friends, most I rescued from my lawyer a few years ago, and a couple I have bought. Every year I end up with more and more...I just love it, tho! I think it is great to be able to share my love for plants with my daughters. My 6 year old loves to help me and see the new sprouts and leaves...
Maybe you should tell him he can sleep on the couch... [Big Grin] Surely he would understand! lol

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Amany on June 12, 2006 07:40 AM
I love the brevifolia and the broomii. I just Googled the pictures. [thumb]

I got an aloe squarrosa a few weeks ago. I think it's really cute.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: