The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Yucca care

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Yucca Blooms| Next thread: Yucca seed pods & ants »
Back to Thread index
by netwiz on May 09, 2006 12:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the forum and hope I can get some info about the yucca plant. We have quite a few at our new home and some look really ratty, brown tips and dead undergrowth. Then there are the ones that have a really long root like thing that bends over and causes the plant to lay on its side. We also have lots of baby plants that I don't think were planted originally. Oh yes, can't forget the ones that we found under a huge pile of decaying leaves... they seem to be getting new growth now but look quite anemic.

The previous owners must have LOVED yucca plants! I have no idea what to do for these things and don't want to kill any of them. Here are my main questions:

1.How do I trim the foliage so we can get healthy looking blades? Do I cut it all the way back and when is the best time to trim? I assume it's ok to remove the dead stuff under the green blades?

2. How do I replant the babies that have sprouted up in inconvenient places? When is the best time to do so?

3.What on earth can I do for the plant that is leaning on its side? Can it be dug up and replanted with more of the root like thing in the ground?

4. There must be 20 to 25 yucca plants on the property. Is it hard to remove the ones we think are excessive? Can the larger ones be replanted if someone was interested in taking them?

5. Do I need to fertilize and when should it be done?

Sorry for all the questions! I really don't have a clue about these plants.

Joanne
by JV on May 09, 2006 01:07 PM
netwiz you can trim the dead or brown off as well as any old growth. Make sure you ware thick long sleeves and when I did mine in west Texas I wore welders gloves as well as eye protection. They can sure put a whole in you in a hurry. I would dig up the little ones and place them where I wanted them or give them to someone that may want them. You said some were bening over I would grub them out they sound like the Soft Yucca I have it gets about 5 foot tall and lays over then I dig that part up and give it away. You can't hardly kill the stuff I know as a kid in New Mexico and West Texas we dug and grubbed and plowed and burned it but still came back. I don't have the recipe but you can make soap out of the roots and some medicine Dusty may be able to help you with that part. Also as kids we use to weave baskets out of the leaves. Good luck and be very careful.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by netwiz on May 09, 2006 04:16 PM
Thanks for the reply Jimmy. You mention how the leaves can cut you but mine don't seem rigid enough to do any harm. They are very pliable and the edges don't seem sharp. I will take precaution just in case, why tempt fate?

Joanne
by JV on May 09, 2006 05:18 PM
I have a photo of mine in my photobucket go to the cactus related folder. If that looks like it tip will sure cut you if not careful.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by patches1414 on May 09, 2006 06:08 PM
quote:
I have no idea what to do for these things and don't want to kill any of them.
Joanne, don't worry, you can't kill yucca plants! [Frown] Believe me, I've tried and I can't get rid of them. [Mad] [Mad] They just keep coming back! [tears]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by netwiz on May 10, 2006 12:45 AM
That's exactly what mine look like JV. I will make sure to protect myself when working with them.

Patches - I'm not sure if it's good news or bad news that I can't kill off the yucca [Smile]

Joanne

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Yucca Blooms| Next thread: Yucca seed pods & ants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: