The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tillandsia tricolor- (airplant)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tillandsia Cyanea- another question| Next thread: Tiller?? »
Back to Thread index
by angelblossom on April 22, 2006 02:25 AM
I bought this Tillandsia Tricolor at the Dallas Home and garden Show from Our Member.. Aaron D's Group - Bromelaid Society. It stayed pretty much dormant since I'd gotten it home After a few PM's back and forth with Aaron and trying different things I was ready to give up hope on it blooming and could just hope for it to produce 'pups' that would for sure bloom, Upon one more suggestion From Aaron to possibly move it to a brighter location and introduce more humidity Alas it bloomed with in 2 weeks of moving it.. Thanks Aaron for all the Info.. it has found it's place in my house now It looks like there are going to be several blooms, [thumb] [clappy] [flower]
 -

-

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Aaron D on April 22, 2006 02:52 AM
YEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!! [flower] [clappy] [flower] [clappy] [flower] [clappy] [flower]
your very lucky sometimes tillandsias can be a little stubborn when moved... BUT in the end they all adapt and thrive... if your interested in attending our society meeting, it going to be tomorrow afternoon ; Saturday, April 22nd 3:00p.m.; at the North Haven Gardens... i am going to bring a few of my specimens to show to the group... and the North Haven Gardens greenhouse should be stocked up with many different tillandsias for the spring... hope to see you there!!! [thumb]

--AARON
by angelblossom on April 22, 2006 03:48 AM
AARON Are you still on here???? Where is north haven Gardens???

-
 -
by JV on April 24, 2006 06:24 AM
Diane that sure is pretty. Hope you get to go to the meetings.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Aaron D on April 25, 2006 07:22 AM
oh i am sorry i wasn't near a computer i thought you knew where it would be, the driving directions are on the handout that i gave you with your tillandsia... oh well theres always next time [Smile] [Smile] the next meeting will be June the 24th i think... i went to their newly redesigned greenhouse it was poorly stocked you didn't miss much except for the meeting...
by plants 'n pots on April 25, 2006 07:32 AM
What a pretty plant!
I'm so glad the two of you were able to get it to the blooming stage - it was well worth it! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by angelblossom on April 25, 2006 12:44 PM
Thanks Lynne! It has bloomed in another place since the picture! (BIG Smile)

Aaron D does each serratted edge have bloom potential ?? Wow I have the paper right in front of me is this were most all your meeting are held??

-
 -
by JV on April 25, 2006 01:11 PM
I am going to have to get one of those yet yours sure are pretty. The ones they have at WM are no where near that pretty.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Aaron D on April 25, 2006 03:24 PM
yea all our meetings are at the North Haven Gardens... everyone is welcome to attend and see if they want to become a member... to be botanicly correct the edge of the flower spike is not serrated but is composed of many BRACTS tighly overlapping to create the sword like shape... yes all tillandsias bloom in an alternating sequence... starting from the bottom, to the top, one will bloom on one side, then wilt.. then on the opposite side a flower will bloom and so on... working all the way to the top where one last flower ( or flowers, usually toward the end tillandsias like to open several flowers at once) near the very tip will bloom and that will be it until its pups grow up and bloom for them selves [Smile] [Smile]
by Aaron D on April 25, 2006 03:30 PM
Once again i want to tell you GOOD JOB!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] I am glad this tillandsia has a great home!!! the blush on the flower spike came in nice!!!!

JV-... yea the tillandsias they sell at Wal-mart are from nurserys that in my opinion over fertilize those tillys they are soooo misshapen and ganglely... a good tillandsia will be lighly but gerously fertilized just like nature does...
by JV on April 25, 2006 03:42 PM
Aaron they are also way over watered as is most everything they have. They dip them in a 30gallon plastic garbage can full of water every day or two. I feel things before I buy it so I wont buy any of theirs but Calloways are not any better.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by angelblossom on April 28, 2006 12:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron D:
yes all tillandsias bloom in an alternating sequence... starting from the bottom, to the top, one will bloom on one side, then wilt.. then on the opposite side a flower will bloom and so on... working all the way to the top where one last flower ( or flowers, usually toward the end tillandsias like to open several flowers at once) near the very tip will bloom and that will be it until its pups grow up and bloom for them selves [Smile] [Smile]
OMGosh! That's exactly whats happening! So far four blooms! [clappy] [clappy] If it opens several at the tip I'll post a pic !!I watch it everyday .. This has really given me a reason to hurry home as the blooms don't last long, and I don't want to miss any new ones [grin]
Thanks again Aaron.BTW I take it a blushing stem is good??!!

Jimmy your right about Walmart's tills Although tommarow I'm am going to go back and see if they had still had the T. Duratti, I'm pretty sure that's what is was . . And Jimmy you'll get my first pup off my till she sure seems happy now!

-
 -
by angelblossom on May 15, 2006 03:54 PM
Aaron..., It never did open the last ones at the tip BUT.> there are more yet to open On the pic I posted you saw there was a lower bracket
It has bloomed alternating 2 times on each side, now it has begun to bloom again on the upper bracket again, This has been most interesting to watch the sequence of blooming I think especially because it went from the top Bracket to the lower bracket back up to the top again COOOOL! So after it stops all blooming this stem will never bloom again but will produce pups that will then bloom, Right?? What happens to the stem after all blooms are spent?
OH I almost forgot ,, It also bloomed on the stem itself on the lower half opposite the lower bracket , I just went to look at it and again I have yet another bloom on the lower bracket almost at the tip.. This is way too cool of an experience
Thanks, Diane

-
 -
by Aaron D on May 20, 2006 04:54 PM
WELL, about a month or less after blooming the flower spike will dry and shrivel like autumn levaes... at this time you may cut it off... i dont i think it maintains a natural look and also shows everyone i bloomed the plant and sorta let people know how old the plant is... anywhere from weeks to a year from that pups will show up if pups show up within weeks then the plant will produce one or three pups if months or a year passes you will have uncountable pups... each drasticlly weakning the parent and unfortunatly it will die [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] (CRYING) BUT each baby if an exact CLONE COPY of the parent so cheer up!!! [Smile]
by angelblossom on May 22, 2006 06:16 AM
[thumb] gotcha! Thanks so much for all the info and walking me thru this.. This has been an awesome experience for the first time having this type of plant.. I Believe this was the best $7.00 I ever spent on any plant to date!!
[flower] [flower] [flower] [flower] [flower] [flower]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tillandsia Cyanea- another question| Next thread: Tiller?? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: