The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lythops seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Luscious 4 layer Pumpkin Cake (easy)| Next thread: Macaroni Salad »
Back to Thread index
by Saved by Grace on April 11, 2006 10:08 AM
I was able to get some lythop seeds as well as rubra seeds...well, I dont know anything about these plants let alone how to start them from seeds. So I need some advice on how to store the seeds and keep them good until I am able to research on how to care for lythops.

Also, any advise on how to care for them would be great!

Thanks
Victoria

A vessel of mercy.
by Aaron D on April 12, 2006 10:47 PM
any bone dry environment will do for storing LITHOPS seeds... now is the best time to plant these seeds in a well draining cactus mix, strangly enough they require the most water possible with out rotting the plants during their growth into a stable sized plant strong enough to tolerate drought... they are so neat when they begin to grow they look like tiny sand particles, and are almost perfectly round when young... remember to water as much as possible without rotting these tiny plantlets will dry up quickly and die within a day or two with out water... lithops need the maximum sunlight possible without scorching to prevent tall stalky growth... a little morning sun or afternoon sun with very bright shade in between will do fine... or shade cloth will be superior... these southern african succulents need a very wet spring (dont rot them) and a consistant watering schedule during the summer heat to keep them growing and happy, winter stop watering and after a few growing seasons the plant will flower in late fall going into winter before the domant season... not all MESEMBS. (stone crop plants, or stone mimicry plants) use this same watering schedule and dormant period... let me know if you have any other questions

--AARON
by Saved by Grace on April 14, 2006 09:18 AM
Thanks Aaron!

With the cactus soil, will the miracle grow cactus soil work? If not is there some other brand or should I make my own?

With watering I read that they should be watered every 12 hours...does that sound right?

I really want to start these seeds next week, so I appreciate the help.

With the light...the best I have is a east room (my sons room)...would they do better if I put an additional grow light over them?

I also read that you have to keep thin plastic over them to make it as humid as possible, is that really nesessary?

Thanks again,
Victoria

A vessel of mercy.
by Aaron D on April 17, 2006 10:14 AM
humidity and constant water-logging may invite fungus the white powdery mildew is the fastest killer and tolerates bright conditions, and varying temperatures... but any fungicide will ward this killer off... in my opinion keeping the potting material constantly moist not wet will be great... yea the miracle gro cactus mix will do fine... ive even seen them planted in regular potting soil?.?.?.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Luscious 4 layer Pumpkin Cake (easy)| Next thread: Macaroni Salad »
Back to Thread index