The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aloe Vera; Need Advise

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: aloe vera| Next thread: Aloe Vera Care??? »
Back to Thread index
by ury949 on March 23, 2006 03:51 AM
My aloe vera isn't doing well; I read that it likes sunlight, but whenever I keep it outside for more than a couple days, it turns yellow or brown. I live in Florida where it gets really hot and humid. So I brought it inside, and then my cat started eating off the tips of the leaves. Will it live with all the damage?? Should I still try to keep it in the sun? or is it too intense? Also, I try to water it whenever I notice that it's been completly dryed out for a couple days, so about every other week. Am I watering it too much? too little?
by afgreyparrot on March 23, 2006 04:01 AM
Hi, ury949! [wavey]
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Here's some info that might help you...
Guide to Growing Aloe Plants

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by tkhooper on March 23, 2006 05:03 AM
The aloe has dormant periods when it doesn't use much water at all but then it has growing periods when it can use quite a bit of water. I water when the soil is dry when I stick my finger in to the first knuckle and it is still dry.

An aloe like most plants can get sunburn if it is taken from inside to a full sun location outside in one move. Try taking it out to a partially shaded location outside and after it's been there for a week begin finding it more and more sunny locations until it is out in full sun all day.

-
 -
by margaret e. pell on March 23, 2006 02:57 PM
I have grown aloe vera since the mid '70's. The same plant a/o its offsets. I also grow ~18 other species of aloe. Many change color in the sun. Some get bright red. That's really pretty. Some get a dark almost brownish. It's sort of like a sun tan. A. vera's sun color isn't particularly pretty, but it's quite safe. If you follow thkooper's advice on moving from indoors to outside, you avoid burn problems and it'll still turn tan. Tan is good for this species. That means it's getting enough sun. Good for you!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: aloe vera| Next thread: Aloe Vera Care??? »
Back to Thread index