The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

sick aloe

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: siberian seed| Next thread: Sick Azalea »
Back to Thread index
by tinkgal 2004 on March 20, 2006 02:47 AM
Hi! I'm new to this site and need help,my aloe vera plant is droopy and is starting to discolor. I had one stem (?) or leaf approx. 3-4 in. in length break off. I let it dry out and placed it on top of the soil but it never rooted. I guess my I have 2 questions.....1. Why is it drooping and losing color? 2. Can I still save the one leaf? Please Help!! Thanks! tinlgal2004
by jonni13 on March 20, 2006 03:19 AM
Aloes are usually propagated through offsets (baby plants that come up near the main stem) or sometimes seeds.
It sounds as though your aloe has been getting too much water. They go through a resting period where watering should be cut back to nearly nothing. The dormant period may happen more than once a year. Even during growing periods, aloes should be only watered when the soil is completely dry. And it should also be potted in very fast draining soil.
I hope it recovers for you. They can be wonderful plants to have around.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by tinkgal 2004 on March 20, 2006 04:50 AM
Thanks Tina! So...should I cut off the soft stems to help it along? It's approx. 4 in. wide and some of the stems are at least 6-8 inches in length and in a very small pot, from what I gather from here my soil isn't fast draining, should I repot it into a wider pot?
tinkgal
by Herbyann on March 20, 2006 05:03 AM
My name is Herby and I too have drowned an aloe!! LOL LOL The leaves don't root!! It propigates itself by putting out 'pup's' when it get's crowded. So the important thing soil and drainage. I like to get a cacti mix for them and the Christmas Cactii. They really do thrive on neglect. Aloe does not like full sun as it's a succulant. same for Xmas cactii. I put a wee bit of weak fertilizer in their water. If the leaves are bent over and drying at the bend remove them and use them. They are great for burns and make a great facial and many other things. You c an put them in a bag in the fridge for a while or in the freezer for emergencies.(like Sunburn!) They grow from the center so look there for viable plant. Ok I'll shut up now!! One of myn fav plants!! Jus don't let it totally dry out and stay that way. Good luck!! [teacher] lol [Smile]

[Smile] Herby Hugs,
Anne [muggs]
by tinkgal 2004 on March 20, 2006 05:11 AM
Thanks Herby!!! I guess i did something else wrong I did put it out side last week when it was kind of raining (before I went to work) and when I got home it was pretty warm and it was out in the full sun. I take it that was a no no. I will put the broken one in the freezer for future use!! Thanks, tinkgal2004
by tinkgal 2004 on March 24, 2006 10:07 AM
I guess I did 2 things wrong with my aloe! I watered it too much then I put it outside in the fuul sun. Oh well I put it in another pot with drier soil (that drains well now) in hopes that it will survive.
Thank again! Tinkgal2004
by Herbyann on March 24, 2006 12:10 PM
[Smile] Glad to help. They do not do well in full sun esp. if it's really hot. The color is bad and all. Good in dappled sun or where it get's the milder sun of the day. Good Luck!!

[Smile] Herby Hugs,
Anne [muggs]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: siberian seed| Next thread: Sick Azalea »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: