The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

liatris

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Leylandi| Next thread: liatris »
Back to Thread index
by SDJeanne on June 06, 2005 05:06 AM
I planted liatris bulbs May 15 outside in South Dakota. They are not showing above ground. We have had over 5 inches of rain since and not much heat or sun. Is it the weather? Is it too early?
by floweraddict on June 06, 2005 07:02 AM
I'm not an expert on growing Liatris, but i do have some that are in pots that i started from seed. I hope to set them out soon.I'm just trying to add some more reds and pinks to my garden. Liatris adds not only color, but also vertical accent for the back ground.

May 15th doesn't seem that long ago... maybe u can dig up one bulb and see how it's coming along.

Bob
 -
by mike57 on June 06, 2005 01:00 PM
HI SDJeanne since you planted them may 15th i would think its still a bit to early for them to come up yet.they are a summer bloomer just let them be for awhile.they will come up when there ready.i know its hard to wait on them i am the same way lol.i wish evry thing i plant would come up and bloom the next day.so just give them time.your friend in gardening mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by pcgrav on June 06, 2005 06:04 PM
Liatris blooms in late summer or even fall so it may take a little more time. They need sun to light shade and moist well-drained sandy soil.
Hope this helps you some...

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by alankhart on June 07, 2005 07:41 PM
It may also have to do with the depth that you planted them. They should only be planted about an inch or two down. If you planted them deeper they will take longer to grow and may even rot with excessive rain.

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Leylandi| Next thread: liatris »
Back to Thread index