The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Wanted: Mile a Minute Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by ceceharpo on November 11, 2006 05:30 AM
I am sorry, I don't know the correct name of this plant, but I seek a root of it desperately. It grows very quickly in a season, dies back each season, leaving a hardened stalk, somewhat like a corn stalk. At least as tall as corn, growing up to 15 feet in a season. The stalk is similar to cane, it is hollow. It's leaves are approximately 5-7 inches long, 3-5 inches wide, dark green. It's flower is somewhat indescript, whitish and not showy. It flowers late in a season then dies back for fall.

If anyone knows the correct Latin name for the plant I describe, please email me with it or if anyone knows the common name for it, I'ld appreciate that also.

If anyone has some of this plant, I would gladly pay to have some shipped to me. I live in Canada.

I do hope to hear from someone who knows the plant I am talking about.

Back to my leaf raking now. [Smile]

cece
by Back Mountain NEPA on November 18, 2006 01:53 AM
by plants 'n pots on November 18, 2006 03:07 AM
Are you actually ALLOWED to grow that invasive vine up there?
We apparently had such a problem with it in our county this past summer, they had articles in the paper looking for volunteers to help rip it out!!!

That was the first time I'd ever heard of it.
Haven't seen it yet, and sorry - I don't recall its real name.

edit - hmmmmm - now that I've re-read your post, I don't think we are talking about the same thing - the one here is called "mile a minute vine".

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Squirrel on November 18, 2006 10:01 AM
I'm not sure about your plant???? But I do know about the "mile a minute vine"!!!! You can get rid of it. [Frown] [Frown] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Squirrel on November 18, 2006 10:02 AM
I mean you can't get rid of it. LOL sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by ceceharpo on November 22, 2006 11:24 AM
Hi everyone, and thanks for replying but no, it's not that plant you posted the link to Back Mountain. Thanks anyway for you help though.

This plant is also NOT a vine "Plants 'n Pots". It's more like a corn, maybe even of the corn family genus. I, as said, I'm not sure what the latin name of it is either.

I'm going to have to find a good site for plant descriptions, one that's easy to follow, like an audobon or similar.

It isn't an invasive plant at all this one I seek. I have grown it in my past, at other homes, but I don't have any of it now.

I still seek out this plant if any of you know what it may be. Please help. It's getting cold up here in Southern Ontario. The winter freeze is almost upon our land here. I would like to get a 'connection' to some of this plant if not for transplanting now, to seed some in my winter hot house, or to transplant next spring.

May you all enjoy the winter months to come. Let's hope there's lots of sunshine to warm these chilly chilly days. [Smile]

cece
by ceceharpo on November 22, 2006 11:28 AM
PS: If I didn't thankyou before, thanks for taking the time to let me know what info you did post to me.

Also, if anyone figures out this plant I talk about, and if you have some seed from it, I would greatly appreciate doing an SASE with you to receive some of the seed also.

Back Mountain, this plants leaves grow up along the tall (up to 15 feet) stalk of the plant. And if I remember, the floweres are non-conspicuous, and follow up the main stalk also. I think.

Thanks again everyone. Having the site here to try and find plants I would like to have is wonderful, so is the information this site has to offer.

cece

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: