The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

weigelia pruning

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Weigela| Next thread: Weird leaves on Japanese Maple »
Back to Thread index
by eClaire on September 28, 2006 10:04 PM
hello folks~
i was wondering if anyone had advise for pruning an out of control wiegelia, mine is growing a strange shape and got huge this year and i'd like to prune it. i think it blooms on old wood?? would it hurt the shrub if i prune it back this time of year? thanks!!

Claire
by tkhooper on September 28, 2006 11:04 PM
I don't have an answer to your question. But I love those plants I think they are great. So if you do prune could I arrange a trade with you for some of the cuttings? I tried to grow some this spring but I had no luck what so ever. So I want to try again. Those plants are just to pretty to pass up.

-
 -
by buzylady on September 28, 2006 11:49 PM
Me too. I'd love to try one. I don't know about this bush, but it blooms in spring right? I'd think you could trim it now. I trimmed my forsythia and other bushes.
Tho someone should know for sure.
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by digital flower on October 01, 2006 08:09 AM
I love Weigela. There so many new kinds out now. The best time to prune is after it flowers. If it is really out of control and you don't mind sacrificing some the flowers prune it now. Here is some information on Weigela:

Hortiscope

Depending on your situation you might consider removing a few large branches now and the rest after flowering.

Daily Gardening Blog

Garden Photography
by M. D. Vaden of Oregon on October 01, 2006 11:11 AM
I've found that plant and others like Forsythia to be hard to prune "by the book".

A bit twiggy and unpredictable.

So I just cut the old stems back quite a way and let them resprout.

Sometimes, I'll just cut half of the stems, like the tallest ones, to leave a more feathery look, and get the rest next year.

On my pruning page, I added a timetable for home gardeners who prune their own stuff.

Pruning Page >>>> Scroll to lower 2/3s of page

You will want the lower 2/3 of the page.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Web Site

Oregon Bigfoot Trap trail

Photo Albums - Oregon Scenery & Tree Care
by eClaire on October 08, 2006 11:52 PM
Thanks guys! I would be more than willing to share cuttings with you all. PM me when you get a chance.

Claire
by AnnetteM on November 23, 2006 10:28 AM
Hi Claire,
I have planted the Wiegalia in my yard and notice in the spring that new growth sprout from the ground, not from the existing sprouts from the previous year. I have not "pruned" mine as I wanted it the grow in height over density for right now. Next year during the summer after the flowers stop blooming, I will trim the height to hopefully create more density and this is when I would recommend pruning.
Hope this works for you.
Annette

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Weigela| Next thread: Weird leaves on Japanese Maple »
Back to Thread index