The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dying Rhododendron

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: dying rhodendrons| Next thread: Dying Spider Plant »
Back to Thread index
by JanC on August 31, 2006 05:35 AM
I've read the postings for pruning rhododendrons. Most say to prune in spring -- and in late November, if pruning in fall is necessary.

However, the top 2/3 of my bush is totally dead and very unsightly. It's in a prominent place in the front yard. Would it damage it terribly if I cut the dead top off now?

Thanks for your help
by afgreyparrot on August 31, 2006 05:47 AM
Here's some info Bill has on pruning rhododendrons...

Pruning Rhododendrons

quote:
Always remove dead wood regardless of the time of year

Welcome to the forum!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by dodge on August 31, 2006 01:57 PM
janc

All my rhodendrens die.......I tried every trick under the sun........

No survivers.

However azalea grows great.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by plantingnewb on September 10, 2006 03:50 AM
Hey Dodge,
I just recently brought an azalea home from my grandmothers funeral. At first it was doing great, now the flowers are drying up. How long should they last? I have it in a window area and water it once a week. Also could I plant it outside? If so, is it to late in the season to do it now?
Tammy
by dodge on September 10, 2006 04:48 AM
plantingnewb,

Yes you can put it out now......Best time for it .
Keep it watered daily so it gets a good chance to grow good roots.......

GOod luck.
dodge [wavey]

-
 -
by loz on September 10, 2006 06:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dodge:
janc

All my rhodendrens die.......I tried every trick under the sun........

No survivers.

However azalea grows great.

dodge

We're opposite then...I've had 8 azaleas here that have all died, or are near death.....but rhodys do really well here.
by dodge on September 10, 2006 07:17 AM
LOZ.......

ha ha .......thats funny......
The part that is funnier, my neighbors all live for them.Rhod.....

I am just azalea happy...........lol

[clappy] [clappy] [clappy]
dodge [shocked]

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 10, 2006 03:40 PM
Oh my gosh, this is awesome! [clappy] Thanks so much for posting this link, Cindy! [kissies] Geesh, I NEVER knew you could prune because someone once told me, "NEVER prune Rhododendrons"! [Eek!] I planted one four years ago and I keep thinking about digging it out because I haven't been happy with it since I bought it. The tag said it was pink and it looks more like purple to me; [Frown] besides, it has never been a very pretty plant or shaped well. Actually, it's kind of scrawny and I guess that's why I didn't even bother to look up any information on it. Geesh, maybe now there is some hope for it and I could learn to love it. [Love]

I keep reading what Bill wrote and I don't mean to sound stupid, but from what I understand, I need to wait until spring (2007) and then I should prune half of the branches about halfway back. Is this correct? [dunno] Then the following spring (2008) I should prune the other half of the branches back about halfway, right? [dunno] This Rhododendron is only about 2-1/2' tall by 2-1/2' wide and that's not too much bigger than when I first bought it!

Thanks again, Cindy! [kissies]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: dying rhodendrons| Next thread: Dying Spider Plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: