The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Weeping willow and Maple trees planting

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Weeping Willow| Next thread: Weeping willow close to septic field. »
Back to Thread index
by Triss on August 20, 2006 10:09 AM
I have 3 weeping willow and maple trees that are currently in containers. The willows from Cindy that I started rooting and then transferred to containers and the maples from Bill which I got as an extra gift along with some columbines. They are all doing great but I want to put them all in the ground to give us some shade in the yard in years to come.

The willows range from 2 feet to 4 feet tall and the maples are all under 2 feet tall.

My question is can these all be planted in a grouping (willow, maple, willow....) and will they all do well together or should I do them in 2 groupings of 3 each type of plant.

And when is the best time to put these plants in the ground? And finally, how much space should each one have? They will be going in the front yard, along the front and side of the yard which gets sun from the time it comes up until it goes down.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by dodge on August 20, 2006 02:02 PM
Triss

2foot tall right now........Do you know how tall and wide those will become?

They get huge.........

put 15feet between them.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Triss on August 20, 2006 02:07 PM
Oh yes, I knwo they get huge. Not at all worried about how big they will get. It will provide oodels of shade. I also really wanna know if I can do every other one? I am concerned that the willows will take water too much from the maple?!?!

-
 -
by M. D. Vaden of Oregon on August 20, 2006 06:43 PM
For some reason - feels right in my mind - I'd suggest to plant them in groups of their own kind.

I think the arrangement might look bizarre otherwise.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Web Site

Oregon Bigfoot Trap trail

Photo Albums - Oregon Scenery & Tree Care
by Triss on August 20, 2006 07:17 PM
I am thinking that was as well. Now to work on a plan!

Are maples as bad at seeking out water as willows are?

-
 -
by digital flower on August 22, 2006 01:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Triss:
They will be going in the front yard, along the front and side of the yard.
Remember not to plant the willows near any drainage pipes or even your foundation. If you have a septic system they can clog those too. Depending on the type of Maple I think the Willows are generally more aggressive at seeking water.

Daily Gardening Blog

Garden Photography
by Triss on August 22, 2006 01:53 PM
Our sewer lines are on the other side of the property from where I am planning on planting. They will also be at the end of the yard so as far away from the foundation of the house as they can get.

The maples will be on the side of the house that the water comes in on, but not close to it. They will also be closer to the house.

Guess I should take pics to see if they will work in the spots I want.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Weeping Willow| Next thread: Weeping willow close to septic field. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: