The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tree help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tree Help| Next thread: Tree Id »
Back to Thread index
by bsd4 on August 19, 2006 05:27 AM
Our neighbor spilled gas down his driveway and into our yard. Our grass is already dead. How can we save our trees and shrubs? Please help.

Thank you
by LandOfOz on August 19, 2006 07:17 AM
We cut down a tree in March and our neighbor is constantly pouring gasoline and oil into the stump. This is very frustrating as I have small children that like to play on the stump. Anyway, the stinkin' stump is showing no signs of dying. So, hopefully, you're trees will be just as resiliant. I don't know if there is anything you can do, if the gasoline has already soaked into the soil. Maybe you could flush it out with lots and lots and lots of water? Then again, that might just encourage the shrubs/trees to drink up on a gas/water brew. I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will be around to shed some light on the subject.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by The Plant Doc on August 19, 2006 10:39 AM
Most trees and shrubs have roots which are deep enough to keep an event like this from harming it. Grass however is not so lucky. The best thing that you can do is scrape a few inches off the area that is affected and add new top soil, then re seed.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by M. D. Vaden of Oregon on August 21, 2006 10:57 AM
If it's regular gas, it will probably go away, as mentioned above.

But, was it mixed fuel / oil like for a chainsaw or weed eater?

If that's that case, you might want to eliminate the contaminated soil.

And, some professional landscape supply places sell activated charcoal which may be useful. Especially for a pesticide spill or over-dose in soil.

You local golf course maintenance department should be able to tell you where to get it. It's well known in the greeens care industry.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Web Site

Oregon Bigfoot Trap trail

Photo Albums - Oregon Scenery & Tree Care

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tree Help| Next thread: Tree Id »
Back to Thread index