The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pygmy barberry

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Puzzled about white flowers| Next thread: Pyracantha Problems »
Back to Thread index
by dirt queen on August 12, 2006 04:17 AM
I have planted two pygmy barberry recently.(7/5/06) I felt they were doing well but I noticed they are droping their leaves which are yellow and crunchy. I feel they have had plenty of water and see no bug damage. Any ideas of what is going on. They are getting full sun.
by kyjoy on August 12, 2006 08:23 AM
Barberrys should take full sun. Are you watering them too much?
by RugbyHukr on August 12, 2006 01:41 PM
maybe they were planted wrong, maybe they don't get enough water. new plantings in full sun should get water every day until they are established.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by merrillzone5 on August 14, 2006 09:01 AM
I planted 3 golden barberries around April. They face a western sun and get lots of afternoon hot sunlight. The id label that came with each plant said " direct sun will not burn this plant". I have a lawn sprinkler system that because of local watering restrictionshas to be used after 6pm. One rotor hits the Japanese maple tree and waters the leaves on the barberry while the evening sun is shinng directly on these plants.No problem! These plants will take it. I use a watering meter(like you use to check moisture in indoor plant pots)and poke it into the ground around the plant to make sure it's not getting too much water.
by merrillzone5 on August 14, 2006 09:06 AM
Here are a couple of pictures.
 -
 -
Hope this info helps!
by dirt queen on August 16, 2006 01:18 AM
Thanks so much for the info. I DO think a water meter is in order just to be sure that I am giving them the right amount of water. Thanks again!
by merrillzone5 on August 16, 2006 02:32 PM
Good luck and let us know if this info helped. I know using a meter has helped me from over watering when I thought I was "saving my plant from dehydration" [scaredy] I'm inclined to go with Kyjoy's opinion on this and anxious to see what your meter reading say's [perplexed] Although I check on all my plants daily to see if there is any change in their health; I would give it about 2 weeks to see a definite turnaround. I would appreciate feedback from other's on this timeline.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Puzzled about white flowers| Next thread: Pyracantha Problems »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: