The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

on many leaves...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: On Line Garden Almanac| Next thread: On raspberries ... »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on June 12, 2006 03:08 PM
I was going to title this "what is this" but Netty beat me to it! [Big Grin]

So... what is this? It's on many leaves - just one on each. This tree has not been doing well for years now, since the trunk has hollowed out, but it's never been this bad, and now these...
Also... what kind of tree is it?

-

closer...
 -

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by peppereater on June 12, 2006 03:31 PM
Those are wasp galls. There are wasp larva growing in there. Most likely, some type of beneficial wasp that preys on pests. Have no fear. As to the type of tree, I should know that, but it resembles some type of ash. I think I'm off the mark on that, though.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by plants 'n pots on June 12, 2006 04:09 PM
Thanks, Pepper! [kissies]
Any clue as to why we've never seen this before?
They really are on just about every leaf on that tree, though not on any of the other different trees nearby...

-
 -
by peppereater on June 13, 2006 01:15 PM
Lynne...some insects "host" on only one or only certain species. As to why they're so numerous, most insect species have peak years, or even cycles when they don't appear for years at a time. A good example is the 17 year locust. They spend 17 years underground, then come out for one season.

-
Dave
by plants 'n pots on June 13, 2006 01:51 PM
Hi again, Pepper.

I took that sample to a nursery today and the tree guy's opinion is that it's a virus gall. He pulled the gall apart and didn't see any eggs inside nor anything moving.

Didn't have any advice for me though...

-
 -
by peppereater on June 15, 2006 11:27 AM
You wouldn't see an insect until it had begun to feed and get larger. Most of these gall wasps are only a 16th of an inch long when they mature. Keep an eye on those galls, I'll bet they get hollowed out. The wasps feed on the tissue inside once the tiny eggs hatch. The gall provides food, and a safe environment. Then, when the wasp emerges, it makes a tiny hole in the gall and flies away. Most viral galls are irregular.
Let me know what happens, you've got me really curious.

-
Dave

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: On Line Garden Almanac| Next thread: On raspberries ... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: