The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Endless Summer Hydragenda with black spots on leaves

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Endive like lettuce| Next thread: engelman's ivy »
Back to Thread index
by Karrie on June 20, 2006 03:37 PM
I noticed my endless summer is getting alot of black spots on the leaves, and alot of the leaves are just black around the edges. We have had a ton of rain this week, could that be the issue? I don't know what to do with it. I removed the blackened and spotted leaves, shall I just leave it at that? I am not sure if its a problem or me just being paranoid.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by luis_pr on June 20, 2006 11:12 PM
It could be anthracnose but it is difficult to diagnose when you are not there to see it. Be aware that fungus in hydrangeas is a very common thing. But, only in the fall season.

This being so early, I would address other cultural aspects that could be causing the problem. For example, make sure that there is good air circulation around the plant; do not water or mist the leaves; instead, water the soil under the plant with a water wand and do this only in the mornings; discard plant debris or leaves that may accumulate under the plant in the Fall (do not put the any affected leaves in the compost pile but rather, throw it in the trash); keep the soil moisture level constant with the use of 2-3" of mulch; water when the soil feels dry; replace the mulch in order to remove any spores that may be found there.

For a list of possible diseases/fungicides, see this link:
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1212

Your local extension service or a good local plant nursery could help with the diagnosis. Take a sample in a sealed plastic bag for analysis to them.

Good luck,
Luis
by Karrie on June 21, 2006 10:52 AM
THanks Luis, I plucked the nasty leaves and think it may be from all the darn rain we have had. Its in a place where I have discovered the drainage is terrible. Hubby and I are working on a Dam of sorts to rout the water a different direction, wish us luck, we are gonna need it. I am gonna monitor it and if it comes back again I plan on takeing futher action.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Endive like lettuce| Next thread: engelman's ivy »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: