The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mimosa Trees taking over

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: millipedes in my dracaena marginata| Next thread: MING ARALIA »
Back to Thread index
by Dienna on June 02, 2006 01:36 PM
Is there anyone who has successfuly gotten rid of Mimosa trees. They have taken over and all of my attempts to get rid of them have failed. I have cut them down and also attempted to dig them up, but the roots run so deep it seems impossible. I am ready to set the yard on fire and start over!!!!!
by weezie13 on June 02, 2006 02:08 PM
Dienna,
Gooood luckkkk!!!!

Mimosa trees' are pretty hard to get rid of,
especially down South...

I am not sure of an answer, but I am going to move your post into the Trees' and Shrubs' section, I think you'll get a few more responses' into that section better...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Sir Ts Princess on June 05, 2006 07:12 AM
Here's a tip about Mimosa...even if you get a backhoe and dig several feet, run them over with the backhoe, chop them down, run a mobile home transport trailer over them...they STILL come back! And multiply too. If anyone figures out how to get rid of these, please share the info!! Shoot, even the tornado we had didn't kill (or damage) the mimosa!

-
by Wrennie on June 06, 2006 12:23 AM
Did anyone try ortho brush be gone? Works on poision ivy and impossiblr to get rid of wild grapes.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by beauc on June 09, 2006 03:18 AM
Dienna,Try painting the stumps with Ortho Brush-B-Gone as Wrennie has suggested,Be sure to follow instructions! WEAR gloves!Reapply after any rain This stuff is pretty potent. It will take the poison down to the roots. This should work.If not....find some copper nails & nail them into the stump. It will take a long time but,it will kill the tree.It has worked for me in the past. On the other hand, Mimosas (Silk trees) make cool bonsia type trees with a little help!Good luck either way!

"After the world has done it's worst,we must cultivate our gardens" =Voltair=
by tkhooper on June 09, 2006 04:23 AM
Ortho Brush-B-Gone doesn't even make a dent in these nasties. Neither does drilling holes in them and poring salt into the holes. When I get some money together I plant to get the stump acid and burning them out. It's the only chance I have they are everywhere. It's either that or getting a dry ice fire extinguisher and spraying them until they are as frozen as it is possible to get them. Cold is their only natural enemy and it just doesn't get cold enough down here in virginia to do the job.

-
 -
by FRITO on June 13, 2006 01:18 PM
I hear if you cut it down to a stump then place a closed type of enclosure on top of stump somthing like a coffee can or somthing similar depending on the size and then palce a large brick on top to keep it in place. the plant will try and grow but will "bunch up" and not gett any light and will rot out. better than poison seeping into ground.
by msgvb on June 14, 2006 04:53 PM
you guys got me all scared!
I've always liked mimosa and got one in a pot from a friend recently, but man, now I'm all worried it's gonna spread like something outta little shop of horrors!

msg ::novice houseplant taker-care-of-er::
underexposed.org
flickr.com - msgvb
by Budman on June 15, 2006 08:00 AM
You all have me worried now as well. I am very impressed, however, on the creative ways you all have come up with to kill these suckers. I must take note for future reference. My area of Virginia does not seem to have the Mimosa problem. I was thinking of planting one because I know the Hummers really do like them. I may wait and do a little more research now.
by tkhooper on June 18, 2006 06:15 AM
Putting a tin can over them doesn't even slow them down. I tried that last year. It might work if it's one that is grown from seed but not the ones on the same root system with the others. I guess that one can get it's chloraphyl from the roots or something. Anyway the leaves didn't even turn brown. I hate these trees.

-
 -
by joclyn on June 18, 2006 04:51 PM
there's one in my neighbors yard. at the edge of mine. he's almost 90 and can't care for the few bushes that are in his yard (and his kids/grandkids don't bother) so i trim things back for him.

i cut this sucker down two years ago...i didn't see it at all last year - but there's plenty of other stuff overgrown in the area so it was probably there and just not tall enough to be seen.

altho it's a pretty thing, i have to get rid of it. will putting gas on the roots kill it??

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: millipedes in my dracaena marginata| Next thread: MING ARALIA »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: