The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Identify Flowering Tree (can I take cutting?)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: identification| Next thread: Identify Plant & Help with health »
Back to Thread index
by thistledown on June 01, 2006 04:51 PM
Across the highway is an area that was once part of a large, posh Victorian estate. It was later annexed by the city because the waterfall needed to be enclosed and rerouted for the highway.

The land has been "uncared for" for many years and I figure the plants are fair game!

The reason I'm going into detail is that there are flowering trees here that I've never seen anywhere else, and I'm wondering if they were a Victorian favourite that is now out of vogue. The trees are huge now, and they have a smooth bark like an apple tree. We are in Zone 5 and the flowers are not open yet, except the occasional one. They are clusters of small pink flowers. Each flower has the upturned duckbill look of a sweet pea. Each flower is about the size of my thumbprint. The leaves are a smooth, pointed oval (again, like an apple tree) but the leaves are edged in a dark red-brown colour.

I have NO IDEA how to even BEGIN to Google this! I don't know the kind of search terms! Please help!

I would like to take some cuttings, what time of the year is good for this?

[Smile]
AT

Work like you don't need the money.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Love like you've never been hurt.
 -
by Triss on June 01, 2006 04:56 PM
WOW AT, I dunno what to even begin to look for that one. I bet it is going to be someone who says I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Do you have a pic or can you get one?

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by thistledown on June 01, 2006 05:25 PM
Perhaps I can borrow my brother's digital camera. It's a bit of a hike to get in to the trees (there's about four of them, as well as others equally beautiful), but they smell HEAVENLY - like faint honey and spice - and the thought that they are just off by themselves in the tall grass and thistle, overhanging chainlink fence, breaks my heart!

In the same field in a large, perfectly circular bed of Irises in full sun. They are almost lost in the tall grass and clover, but they just come back year after year, oblivious to the fact that no one can see their display anymore.

[tears]
AT

-
by Triss on June 01, 2006 05:37 PM
I'd almost think wisteria, with the smell and flower shape but they are more of a vine though can be trained as trees. Nothing else pops into my head right now.

Sounds like a beautiful space just left to waste. Very sad! Perhaps you can give the city a call and ask if you can go in and rescue the plants. Since they are not using it and it is overgrown, they may not have a problem with you going in and rescuing the plants.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Deborah L. on June 01, 2006 06:41 PM
Great idea, Triss.
Thistle, I've heard of wild plant rescue groups. Could you Google that and see what comes up?
I would DEFINTELY call the city and get permission to rescue.
Sounds like a treasure trove !
Keep us posted, OK? I'd love to hear how this venture turns out.
Also, could you take leaf samples to a nursery and maybe the staff there can identify the trees?

-
 -
by thistledown on June 01, 2006 09:03 PM
Gosh I love wisteria!

No, this is a tree- definately - and the flowers don't hang in bunches. It's more like a cluster of several small flowers on the end of the branch.

We live in a VERY small community, so I think the local notice board down at the grocery might have more info than Google.
~~sighs about being in a backwater~~

The current city government is, shall we say, not really inclined toward the "touchy-feely" stuff, and their opinion is likely to be "its been there for a hundred years-harrumph!- why moved it now?"

But I'm hoping if I'm subtle, I can just take a few cuttings, lovingly thin out the irises, and no one will really notice. They're on the accessible side of the fence, so I don't have to "tresspass". They're just in an area triangled by highways in a gully where they're not really visible and the city doesn't maintain.

Bringing the leaf to someone's an excellent idea!

Thanks Gals!
[Smile]
AT

-
by thistledown on June 01, 2006 09:16 PM
I have been trying to google phrases like "flowering tree pink" etc...

The closest thing I can find is a ROBINIA HISPIDA. Very similar, but the leaves are wrong. They're the right shape, but the leaves on this tree were rimmed with reddish-brown (and it was not a disease - it was definately the natural colouration).

The flowers are very, very close, but they did not hang in bunches.

hmmmmmm
AT

-
by Wrennie on June 02, 2006 12:53 AM
If it may be a victorian era planting maybe try to google victorian garden, or victorian tree ??

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by joclyn on June 02, 2006 07:09 AM
try to get a pic of the tree...that will make it easier to identify. (and much quicker than trying to google the description)

it sounds lovely!!

iris are hardy little buggers and don't need too much attention. they multiply well, too. i doubt if anyone would notice if you took a half dozen - they'd be replaced the next year anyway with new growth from those that you leave there.

man, i HATE it when beautiful, well-constructed homes are left to rot or are torn down!! it really breaks my heart! those homes were built to LAST...

anyhoo, (don't want to go off on a tangent [Smile] ), see if you need permission to take cuttings/bulbs from the area - and then go for it!!
by Deborah L. on June 02, 2006 07:47 AM
Joclyn, I still haven't reconciled with what the new owners did to my beloved Grandma's home.
Chopped down the century old wisteria that draped the front of the house, ripped out ALL of her OLD, OLD plants and flowers, painted the house, fenced it with prison-like black iron spikes, and "planted" the fabulous huge flowing lawns with rocks.
That lovely old house where the door was always open with welcome to all, now barricaded by everything but barbed wire.
My only comfort is that I have a perfect picture of the house taken when it was Grandma's house.
I'm going to have it enlarged to poster size and frame it.

-
 -
by joclyn on June 02, 2006 02:08 PM
{{{deb}}} at least you have a picture of the house when it was in it's glory!!!! i'd get it enlarged and frame and put it on the wall, too!!

(the situation could be much worse...they could have torn it down and put in something new. that's happening a lot around here - makes me sick)
by Deborah L. on June 02, 2006 02:37 PM
That was sweet, Joclyn. {{{ }}} back.
Guess what else, one time in the 1970's, in happy times, I took several pictures of my Grandma's house inside, even the old timey light switches !
And the one I love best, a good picture of her wonderful kitchen, and the sunlight coming through the windows.
This picture I want to enlarge to wall size and mount it on one small wall of my kitchen. It'll be like walking into that wonderful, cozy place again.
BTW, in this case, I always wanted to buy the house and have it demolished so that no one else could have it. I had wanted to make the property a childrens' park, and dedicate it to my Grandma.
Grandma loved children and babies.
Thanks again, that was sweet ! [wavey]

-
 -
by thistledown on June 02, 2006 10:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by joclyn:
man, i HATE it when beautiful, well-constructed homes are left to rot or are torn down!! it really breaks my heart! those homes were built to LAST...

Fortunately, the city only annexed part of the property. The original house and the adjoining yard is still lived in and cared for - across the highway. The highway sort of chopped the property in half.

Yes - I definately have to nag my brother for his digital camera!

[Smile]
AT

Oh, and I think the city agrees with you about demolishing old homes! As our town is kind of "known" for it's turn of the century architecture, the city charges only $200 for a permit for altering structure (as in renovations and such), but $6000 dollars (yes, six THOUSAND) for a permit to build a NEW structure.
Needless to say, not a lot of bulldozing around here! LOL!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: identification| Next thread: Identify Plant & Help with health »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: