The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Gardener In Training....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by IxiAnn on May 30, 2006 09:40 AM
I have always heard that to take a nut (acorn, pecan, or walnut) that has fallen out of a tree or a seed from a fruit (lemon, watermelon, apple, etc) and intentionally planting it to try to get it to grow into it's own plant is not the best thing to do if you want results. I've tried it myself, and have never had any success.

But my 6yo daughter must have magic in her fingers. It doesn't matter what type of seed or nut she sticks in my flower pots (grrr...lol), it WILL germinate, and it WILL thrive! We now have 4 oak trees each in their own little pots that I transplanted from my potted azalea and a pecan tree that came from a nut she stuck in my impatiens. Once she even got a black walnut to sprout by sticking it in a plastic jar...by itself!

I know this story sounds crazy, but it is all too true. The pecan tree is now 4 years old and thriving (yes, she was 2 when she stuck that nut in my impatiens...I let her because I didn't think it would actually DO anything!). Is there some kind of trick that she could be using that I don't know about, or is she just going to be a natural???

Ann
by afgreyparrot on May 30, 2006 10:58 AM
quote:
Is there some kind of trick that she could be using that I don't know about, or is she just going to be a natural???

It's called a green thumb!
[thumb] <---- That's a white thumb, but you get the picture! [Big Grin]

I have one, too. Everything I plant grows, no matter where I plant it. It's pretty nice! Unfortunately, I don't know much about my plants...I don't even know the names of most of them. [tears]

I have often wondered why some people can plant anything and it grows, and some people (my sister) kills every plant she tries to grow. [nutz] Maybe it's some form of ESP, but manifests itself in the ability to grow things. (Be careful, next I'll be telling you I believe in aliens.) [Embarrassed] [Big Grin]

Bottom line is...your daughter is very blessed!

Just think...one of these days she can look at those big oak trees and say she grew them from a seed!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by IxiAnn on May 30, 2006 12:58 PM
quote:
Just think...one of these days she can look at those big oak trees and say she grew them from a seed!

She already does!

It's funny, because she like to go outside and give her "baby trees" kisses before going to bed. [kissies] Sometimes it drives me [nutz] , but usually I just think it's cute!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: