The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

maple

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: many little black bugs on tomato plant| Next thread: Maple tree? »
Back to Thread index
by manx on May 24, 2006 11:19 PM
i tried to grow a couple of maples but the leaves got badly wind burnt and the both eventually perished-how should i go about it to give some new trees the best chance---what type of tree ,position etc--(the garden is on a hill in a coastal region--broad variety of weather)thanks.

m.g.bloom
by The Plant Doc on May 25, 2006 01:06 AM
Forgive me as I am just waking up, and the coffee has not kicked in yet, but is that Brighton England?

If so I am not really sure of what type of plants would do well over there, but if you took notice of what is growing wild, that would give you a pretty good idea of what would be hardy in that area.
How did the maples get wind burnt? did that happen during transporting them? If it happened after, they make a product called an anti-desiccant which locks moisture inside the leaf and can prevent that from happening.

Hope this helps

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by manx on July 06, 2006 12:19 AM
no they burnt after planting.

m.g.bloom
by luis_pr on July 06, 2006 01:52 AM
Maples in Southern California suffer from leaf burn by some time in the summer every year. High concentrations of salt in the soil can also cause leaf burn on other plants.

I would go a local plant nursery to see what they recommend. Trees like connifers, oak, ash and beech are probably common in Brighton. The nursery could recommend good trees if you describe the planting location, the number of hours of sun that it will get, other issues (water availability, windy conditions, etc). They can also inform you about local pests and diseases that may attack such trees.

Another suggestion... local universities in Texas publish plant and tree recommendations in the Internet. Why don't you inquire in the websites of your universities too?

Good luck, Luis

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: many little black bugs on tomato plant| Next thread: Maple tree? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: