The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Keeping birds out of cherry trees?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: keeping birds off of my tomatoes| Next thread: Keeping Iris' »
Back to Thread index
by Pianolady on May 24, 2006 05:50 PM
We spent quite a bit of time covering a large cherry tree with bird netting yesterday, just to have it blown off in the the wind today. The other cherry tree fared fine. Is there any other way to deter birds from stealing the cherries, or do we just have to get it covered again?

-
by tamara on May 24, 2006 11:13 PM
I have cheap windchimes from the dollar store handing in mine. Seems to spook them away.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by RugbyHukr on May 25, 2006 02:01 AM
c'mon, there have to be more cherries than you can eat, share...

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Pianolady on May 25, 2006 06:00 AM
Tried the share method previously, didn't work too well. They've got two other cherry trees I let them have, they don't need these too! LOL

-
by obywan59 on May 25, 2006 07:38 PM
Have you heard of bird scare flash tape ? You can hang it as they describe in the link, or tie one end of a longer piece of tape, then twist it numerous times before tying the other end to make it spiral. The lightest breeze will cause the tape to turn creating flashes of reflected sunlight which startle the birds.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Wrennie on May 25, 2006 11:40 PM
Dalen co makes a holographic scare tape, silver reflective mylar stuff. Tie it to the branches.
Also a blow up snake, owls and a solid plastic owl scarecrow.(If you cant find these I can get them for you through my store, just pm me.)
You can leave an annoying music radio station on. Use a weatherproof radio, or one made for the shower and hang it in the tree.

DONT use bird netting. That black plastic approx. 1/2" opening net. It KILLS birds. They get their heads in the space and get strangled.
An alternative is tulle. Very fine netting fabric found in fabric stores.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Pianolady on May 26, 2006 03:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm now a proud owner of a new plastic owl, and I had plenty of cheap windchimes hanging around that I could use!

-
by Andi on June 06, 2006 05:57 AM
Bird netting didn't work for us ... AOL sends plenty of those CD's out ... that's what we use, recycled CD's. They're so pretty when the light shines on them and spins them around. We drilll a whole in them and use them just like ornaments!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: keeping birds off of my tomatoes| Next thread: Keeping Iris' »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: