The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

bad dirt on hibiscus tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: bacterial wilt| Next thread: bad drainage »
Back to Thread index
by cs on May 18, 2006 09:39 PM
We have a beautiful hibiscus tree that is about 4-5' tall and even blooms for us (it's inside) yearly. It started to lose leaves and look REALLY bad so i figured it was rootbound. When I pulled it from the old pot, the stench was overwhelming. What happened is the holes on the pot were covered with tapwater residue not allowing it to drain. Basically, we drown it and it sat there like that for quite a while. I shook all of the dirt off that I could and repotted it (in the same pot after washing it out well) and it still is losing leaves. Has hardly any and it's not looking good. Wondering if there is anything I can do to save it? No idea what to do now! Please help.
Thanks in advance.
Crystal
by Jiffymouse on May 20, 2006 04:40 PM
if any of it is still green, (even if it is losing leaves) treat it like you would a cutting and it will come back.

you did use fresh, dry soil, right? and if you want, you can even put the roots under running water to clean off the slime. then put it in fresh soil, and water when the soil is beginning to dry when you stick your finger about an inch in.
by cs on May 21, 2006 08:53 AM
Thanks! I didn't wash off the root ball because I was by myself and this plant is HUGE. Actually, I noticed last night that it does have some new leaves, so I am really relieved! I'd just hate to lose this tree, my husband has had if for probably 10+ years and the lady who gave it to him has passed away. So I am optimistic now. Phew...dodged that one!
by Jiffymouse on May 21, 2006 10:13 AM
they are fairly resilient plants. i have one that comes back every year and i don't do a whole lot for it!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: bacterial wilt| Next thread: bad drainage »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: