The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rooting A Certain Tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: rooting| Next thread: Rooting a pothos »
Back to Thread index
by sapphire on May 17, 2006 07:28 AM
I have two Flowering Pair Trees, that I purchased and planted about two weeks ago. They are doing great, just wonderful.

On one of the trees, there is a sappling that has rooted from the trunk of the tree. I was wondering if I could cut that off and root it to make another tree?

I know in some cases special products have to be bought and added to the cutting in order to activate root growth. I was just wondering if this is one of those things I will have to do or if it will root on its own.
by johnCT on May 17, 2006 07:45 AM
You could do that with any cutting from the tree. No rooting hormone is necessary. It will root all by itself. Just stick it in some well draining potting mix or even just right in the ground next to the tree.

John - Zone 6
by peter link on October 24, 2006 11:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sapphire:
I have two Flowering Pair Trees, that I purchased and planted about two weeks ago. They are doing great, just wonderful.

On one of the trees, there is a sappling that has rooted from the trunk of the tree. I was wondering if I could cut that off and root it to make another tree?

I know in some cases special products have to be bought and added to the cutting in order to activate root growth. I was just wondering if this is one of those things I will have to do or if it will root on its own.

Peter Link
by aighead on October 25, 2006 02:44 PM
There's also this just to make sure...
by myndful on October 25, 2006 06:55 PM
Just a thought...are your pear trees grafted or regular? If grafted, is the young sapling growing above or below the graft line?

http://myndfulmeanderings.blogspot.com
by Jiffymouse on October 29, 2006 04:37 AM
good catch myndful. that makes a BIG difference in what you get when you root the sapling.
by aighead on November 02, 2006 03:57 PM
Which way is right? Graft above or below? Oh yeah, what does grafted mean?
by Jiffymouse on November 03, 2006 11:04 AM
grafted is when they take the root system of one tree, and attach the top part of a different tree to it. like adding two pieces of pipe, and the graft is the "joint".

you can tell a graft because it will be thicker than the rest of the trunk. and the trunk will almost have a "seam" in the bark. usually at a diagonal, but sometimes in a "v". if a plant has a "sucker" or off shoot from below the graft, the sucker will not be the same plant as the top of the tree. if the sucker is from above the graft it will, but it may not be as "root hardy" as the parent.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: rooting| Next thread: Rooting a pothos »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: