The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

WHite Flies & My Gardenia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: White Flies| Next thread: White Flies, Lawn Moths or Scabies »
Back to Thread index
by sapphire on May 14, 2006 03:40 AM
About two weeks ago, I finally got some insecticed spray for my Gardenia bush. I have been treating it weekly for white flies. I just came in from treating it again. When I started spraying those little buggers started flying around, however, it did not seem as many as before. I am spraying a gallon of the stuff at a time, and also making sure I get under the leaves and at the base of the plant. It seems to be doing some good, compared to what the plant looked like before I started treating it and now.

I am concerned though if the spray will interrupt the plant blooming? It has not started to bud out yet. I just hope this spray works. I also planted some azealas under a pine tree not too far away from the Gardenia, so I went ahead and sprayed those to just to be sure that the flies don't move to it.
by Deborah L. on May 14, 2006 10:12 AM
Whiteflies hate soapy water. What about a good drenching of dish soap in a spray bottle, and then in awhile a good rinse?
I have never heard of insecticide delaying bloom, so that part should be OK.
Does your gardenia get chelated iron?
I love gardenias too, Saph !

-
 -
by sapphire on May 15, 2006 12:18 PM
Does the soapy water, kill them or just make them leave then come back? I would not mind trying that. How long do you let it sit before you give it a good rinse? I don't want to leave it on there longer than it should be . Thanks of the 411. Oh and I will be using a gallon spray jug, so how much soap (dish liquid or regular soap) do I use?
by Deborah L. on May 16, 2006 06:49 AM
I don't measure, I just squirt one squirt of dish soap in my sprayer, fill it with water, and then drench the plant and especially under the leaves.
I let it sit maybe half an hour and then rinse the plant.
I wouldn't do this in sunlight.
I do the soap thing whenever I notice even one white fly, there's no set schedule.
The soap does kill the white flies.
I've read that white flies are attracted to plants that are too dry. It's been true in my case, like for tomatoes that I forget about.

-
 -
by debnoel on May 18, 2006 11:46 AM
I use an insecticidal soap spray that I buy at Wal-Mart, and it does the trick. I avoided white fly this year I think, because I gave the thing a good spray before I brought it in for the winter. I did have to spray it about a month ago and when I put it out it will get sprayed again. I sprayed it during bloom time and it did not affect the blossoms. I agree that you should not do it in the sunlight. I spray in the morning when the plant is in the shade. Make sure you get the spray under the leaves and I would spray once a week for three weeks to get any of them that may hatch or survive. Good luck!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: White Flies| Next thread: White Flies, Lawn Moths or Scabies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: