The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

burning bush w/parasite

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: burlap or plastic under!| Next thread: burnt out on information »
Back to Thread index
by joclyn on May 05, 2006 04:43 AM
my neighbors burning bush has something. at the ends of the shoots, the leaves are folded over and there is some kind of sticky/gooey stuff that is holding the leaf over - there are also small black things there (they're not moving).

what is it? and how to get rid of them? or are they beneficial in some way??

here's some pics:

-

-
by obywan59 on May 05, 2006 04:49 AM
It sounds like aphids. They tend to cluster at new tip growth and cause leaf curl like that. Safer's Soap will kill them. You may need to respray several times at 3 or 4 day intervals to get them all.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by joclyn on May 05, 2006 05:06 AM
i didn't see any aphids. just the black things.

i sometimes get aphids on my rose...they tend to congregate at the base of the stems - not at the ends.

or are there different types of aphids?
by RugbyHukr on May 05, 2006 07:07 AM
could be dieback/cankers cuased by nectria cinnabarina a fungus

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by joclyn on May 06, 2006 05:46 AM
would that fungus cause the leaves to curl over?

it really looks like it's some creature that took the leaves, tucked them over and then glued them in place...

there's some caterpillar that does that in some tree - this looks basically the same...but there's no caterpillar.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: burlap or plastic under!| Next thread: burnt out on information »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: