The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

crape myrtle divided from parent plant.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Crane Fly| Next thread: Crape Myrtle Problem »
Back to Thread index
by mr.greenjeans on May 02, 2006 04:39 AM
I have just transplanted a crape myrtle that was started from a root division from a perent plant. It appears to be wilting a bit. Can anyone give me any tips to ensure the success of this planting.
by IxiAnn on May 30, 2006 01:46 PM
Not sure if you are still looking for an answer to this (you have probably figured it out already), but...

We transplanted 5 "runners" this past spring. They traveled for 1 1/2 hours in the back of a pickup with a little bit of moist soil covering the roots. Oh, and we had them laying kinda on their sides. Anyway, when we got them home, there were 2 of them that looked like they weren't going to survive, but I planted them anyway, thinking it wouldn't hurt anything to try. Everyone of the plants made it. As a matter of fact, the one that looked the worst is doing the best! lol Crapes tend to be pretty hardy...
by Squirrel on May 30, 2006 02:11 PM
I want to keep my Crape on the small side. When is it best to prune? Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by IxiAnn on May 30, 2006 05:14 PM
Good luck keeping it on the small side! lol From all my experience with them, it doesn't matter when or how much you prune, they'll be full size by the end of the growing season! Hubby's grandmother whacks hers nearly to the ground every fall, and they are 6 feet or more by the time the next fall rolls around! You can prune them just about year around. I had one that sprang up around an oak tree that I couldn't keep cut back. And don't forget that they are "runners"...if you don't let it grow fairly naturally, you will be mowing down babys in the yard all year!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Crane Fly| Next thread: Crape Myrtle Problem »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: