The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Kumquat Zones

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: kumquat| Next thread: Kumquats »
Back to Thread index
by DustyDS on April 29, 2006 04:08 AM
I need to know if anyone can tell me if a Kumquat tree will survive in Zone 6..It is currently a 3 foot tree in a pot.
by DustyDS on April 29, 2006 04:09 AM
Forgot to mention, it will stay potted until my move next spring, unless it wont take Zone 6 climate, then Ill plant it here..
by papito on April 29, 2006 04:56 AM
From North Florida Research & Education Center

http://nfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/Newsletters/Archive2000/NEWSLETTER_V2_N3_00.htm

quote:
Kumquats are the only acid type of citrus that are sufficiently cold-hardy for Tallahassee; lemons and limes will not tolerate our winters. Meyer lemon, a relatively cold-hardy lemon hybrid will tolerate temperatures down to about 26F, and sustains winter injury in Tallahassee during most years. Meiwa, Nagami or Marumi kumquats (Fortunella x crassifolia), or the Changshou kumquat (Fortunella x obovata) will typically survive down to 15-20F. One young specimen of Meiwa survived the 22-24 December 1989 freeze where 11F was recorded at the NFREC-Monticello. Chinotto sour orange (species unknown), an attractive ornamental, is slightly less cold-tolerant than Satsuma.
I have 7 Nagami Kumquats that are in pots and kept outdors all year.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by DustyDS on April 29, 2006 05:11 AM
I am planning to move to Ohio next spring and need to know if it will survive there in Zone 6..From what you wrote, apparently not..
by papito on May 02, 2006 12:03 PM
Are you taking the Kumquat with you? If so, It will probably survive being a houseplant during the winter months. In the spring, when all danger of frost is over, you could harden it off and move it outdoors.

See Growing Citrus as a Houseplant

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Deborah L. on May 02, 2006 12:12 PM
Papito,
I'm down in southern California near Del Mar.
I bought a small 2 1/2 foot dwarf Valencia orange tree a couple of months ago. It was a rescue, I saw it in front of a store all dried out and the little leaves flapping in the chilly wind. I felt sorry for it and bought it.
Now it has healthy leaves and is happy, however it is covered with buds that will become flowers and of course, fruit.
My question is, since the tree is so small, and has so many buds, should I remove the buds now and force the tree to focus on making leaves and getting bigger before it bears fruit?

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: kumquat| Next thread: Kumquats »
Back to Thread index