The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

uh oh, i screwed up with my rose

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: uh oh. another unhappy looking succulent| Next thread: Uh-oh »
Back to Thread index
by joclyn on April 21, 2006 12:55 AM
i think i made a big mistake! i was moving some things around to make room for the lilac.

i moved the rose bush and it wilted a little - just on the tips. i kind of expected it to be a bit shocked, so i wasn't surprised.

this morning when i was leaving for work, the whole thing is all wilted. i'd watered it last night - didn't want to over do it, but i did a fairly decent soak.

i didn't have time to water it again before i left (i was not expecting the whole thing to wilt) and i lost the light last night so i didn't put the mulch down. it's bright sun and hot today - is that going to make things worse?

is there anything specific i should do? how often should i water it, now? i really, really don't want to lose this bush!! this is the one i originally had and it's got really beautiful flowers. i could just kick myself at the moment! geez, and it was looking absolutely gorgeous too! better than it's ever looked.

it's supposed to get pretty cold again over the next few days. should i wrap it at night?
by Budman on April 21, 2006 01:08 AM
Hi Joclyn, Whenever I transplant anything like your rose bush, I always cut back a third of the plant. This compensates for your cutting the rootball when you dig the plant up. I also use a liquid plant starter to help the plant recover more quickly and start new roots right away. I believe that you can go ahead and cut that Rose bush back and fertilize it with a starter type fertilizer, mulch it and dont let it dry out and it should come back. It may take a while and wont look much different until next year after the roots get re-established. Best of luck.
by joclyn on April 21, 2006 05:01 AM
thanks for replying!

i did take care with the roots. i literally dug around the roots with a small handheld shovel so that i could uncover all the roots and the tap - i didn't want to break the tap. i didn't see too many of the newer/smaller branching roots. i think i may have missed a bit of them at the back of the bush, tho. it was hard to get the back part as the fence was in the way. (and with my luck that's where the majority of the roots would be [Frown] )

someone here at work suggested root stimulator. is that what you're talking about? i did put some rose food in the bottom of the new hole. is it still okay to use an additional treatment? or would that be too much? i don't want to do more damage than i already have!

i didn't think to prune it back some. yeah, that sounds like a good idea!

darn it! it was looking so nice, too! we had a mild winter and when i went out to prune it back in march, it already had new growth going so i didn't trim it back as much as i really wanted to. turned out to be a good thing tho - it really bushed out nicely.

i could really kick myself...i should have just put the lilac in and moved the bush in the fall...
by peppereater on April 21, 2006 06:01 AM
I wouldn't get too upset yet, and don't use nitrogen fertilizer. You don't want to stimulate a lot of new green growth. The starter type Budman mentioned is fine if it has a very low N ratio. A mild root stimulator, mixed 1/2 strength or even less, is fine, but neither will make any immediate difference you can see. You may well lose all of the leaves, but nothing you can feed it will change that now. It seems excessively shocked...maybe because the growth was so new...but unless you drown it, or let it get totally bone dry, it should put out new leaves in a very short time...look for the new buds within days, at least tiny "pips." Then, with just a little TLC, it should leaf out and look good. You could prune some now or wait until some new leaves come out and cut back to good, healthy looking foliage.
I wouldn't worry about a few chilly nights.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by gardengal on April 21, 2006 06:12 AM
Joclyn,
I have transplanted roses a couple of times and the first time my rose did exactly what you are describing. I gave it a good trim, even though it was summer, and it came back shortly after. The best time to move roses (as I have learned) is in the winter or fall when they go dormant. I only moved mine in the summer because it had to be done, a new wall was going in so it was either kill the rose or move it and hope it lives. It lived and was beautiful. The other times I've transplanted roses I've trimmed them down like Budman suggested. Cuts down on the shock and makes them bounce back pretty quick.

Good luck. Most roses are pretty hardy little guys.

Kristen

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by joclyn on April 21, 2006 09:48 AM
when i got home, one of the neighbors had taken pity on the poor bedraggled thing and had watered it. (i've got really terrific neighbors!)

i got the root stimulator and mixed an almost full dose - spread it out among the rose, the lilac that caused this whole thing and the jackmanii (which i also had to move...it, too, is a bit droopy). then i gave the rose some plain water (to thin out the stimulant a bit more and to make sure it got a good soak. i'm glad i did after seeing dave's comment). i also put a good, thick layer of mulch down.

i did all this in the dark...worked longer than i wanted and the one store was closed so i had to make a trip to the other one. i didn't get the pruning done; i'll do that tomorrow before i head off to work. and, phew! it's not going to get as cold as they were originally saying...only down to the mid 40's.

yes, i know it wasn't the right time to move it...i really wanted to get the lilac in tho...hindsight being 20/20, i should have put the lilac in a large planter and then moved the rose and clematis in the fall.

well, it's a really healthy bush with a really good tap root, so yeah, it should be okay. if we get a i'd really hate to lose it...it's the very first thing i planted when i bought my house.

thanks for your help!!
by joclyn on April 22, 2006 02:13 AM
i pruned the bush back a bit...there are already some spots where the leaves have perked back up, so with less foilage, it should do okay. and we're going to get a good soaking rain tonight/tomorrow, so that should help too.

i never used root stimulant before...WOW! the lilac grew more than half an inch over night!

well, everything happens for a reason...looks like i needed to learn about root stimulant and the benefits it provides! i'll definitely use this stuff when i plant new or transplant existing things in my gardens!!
by Budman on April 25, 2006 04:37 AM
Joclyn,

You were right, I did mean root-stimulator when I said "starter fertilizer". I use it all the time when transplanting or putting in new plants. I also use Miracle Gro for roses, which is a water soluable and could help your Rose bush make it through this growing season. I would probably use half the recommended rate about once a week until it starts getting hot. I dont like using a water soluable too much in the heat of the summer as it could encourage some fungul problems. By then it should be doing well and all that would be needed is additional watering. One last thing that I would really recommend for Roses and you may be using it already, is a product by Ortho called Orthenex. It is a systemic Insecticide/Fungicide, which means it absorbs the product into the plants system. Helps me a lot with black spot and aphids. I still seem to get a little powdery mildew, but not as much. Take care.
by joclyn on April 26, 2006 07:22 AM
thanks bud! well, i did put the rose food (pellets) in the hole when i transplanted - it's old tho...so i don't know how active it still is. the root stimulater directions say to treat again in two weeks if needed; i was planning on doing that.

the rose is still looking pretty scraggly - and then we got over 2 inches of rain on saturday and some more (with very large hail) yesterday and we're due for more rain tonite...i hope this doesn't drown the poor thing!! my property is on a slope tho, so the drainage is pretty good so that will help.

i'd thought about the fungus, mildew and aphids too...i've not had a problem with the mildew before but i do get aphids almost every year. this one also gets the black spot (is that a fungus??). so i'm concerned about that - especially now that it's so droopy...it'll spread more quickly and with all this rain, it's useless to spray it - the ortho stuff for the black spot works extremely well.

another issue is japanese beetles! we had a really terrible investation last year - so i'm expecting it to be just as bad this year. and with all the extra time i spent in work last fall, i never got the milky spore down on the lawn...that takes a couple of years to really have an effect tho, anyway.

i was planning on doing another treatment of the root stimulater in another 2-3 weeks if it doesn't seem to bounce back. do you think i should skip that and use the ortho rose stuff instead? and what about the pellets? should i wait a month before applying any other type of food?

oh, and as upset as i am about the rose (which, i think, in the long run, will survive as it was so healthy to begin with), i'm glad i did move it and the clematis before putting the lilac in...it's already over 4 inches tall!!! if i'd waited until fall to move the rose, i'd have had a problem!!
by joclyn on April 29, 2006 04:55 AM
just an update and another question.

the rose is past being wilted...now the leaves are starting to look dry and dead.

i'm going to water it well tonight - i haven't watered it because we got so much rain saturday, sunday and monday. probably should have gave it a drink yesterday - it was dark when i got home tho and i couldn't see how bad the leaves looked.

i have some peters food. should i mix up a light treatment and apply that with a good deep soak of fresh water?
by peppereater on April 29, 2006 09:20 AM
I'm not too surpised that the leaves have died. It's the new foliage that will be important at this point. Don't water again until the soil dries out for the top couple of inches. More fertilizer now wouldn't be good...do you see any neww little pips, tiny red or green buds anywhere on the stems? These will be new leaves trying to form. The life of the plant right now is mostly in the roots, so don't drown them, and you may be okay.

-
Dave
by joclyn on April 29, 2006 11:26 AM
thanks, so much, dave!!

i didn't notice any new pips...i was on the way to work and i really didn't do much other than look at the condition of the leaves.

when i go home, i take a good deep look to see if there's anything new emerging. if i do see new stuff, should i pull the dead leaves off that particular stem?

i'll pull up the mulch and check the condition of the soil - if it's dry i'll give a bit of water. i think it might be - the lilac - which grew SO much in those few days with all the rain hasn't increased in height any since wednesday...so, if that one needs a drink, then so does the rose!
by peppereater on April 29, 2006 11:45 AM
Are any of the old leaves still okay? They could all drop, and the plant still live, but any that are ther now and looking okay could be an indication of the plants health...if they're still okay, a few, then they should stay okay...
It could be a little dicey for a while. Just have a little patience, it's more up to the rose now than up to you. If you must do something add a bit of root stimulator, but only when it needs water again. It's tempting to try and DO something, but seriously, it's been shocked, and there's a good chance it'll make it, but there's no fixing it right now, really. It just has to come back on it's own now. I can't see why it should be so shocked, if a good part of it's root system was intact, but it needs rest more than anything, and roots that are moist but not waterlogged. Keeping my fingers crossed!

-
Dave
by peppereater on April 29, 2006 12:02 PM
Joclyn...it just occurred to me...you live in Philly. Has it been pretty cool? Even if the rose had leaves, it may take a bit of warm weather, a few days, before it starts to show signs of new life. And cool soil temps trump warm air temps. A cold rain could have "put the chill on." I can't emphasize enough that you don't overwater right now, above all.

-
Dave
by joclyn on April 29, 2006 06:09 PM
from the quick look i gave it this morning, it looked like all the leaves were getting dried out...there had been more than a few (interspersed throughout the bush) that had perked up a bit, they seemed to have dried out as well [Frown]

the temp has been anywhere from 40 to 78 and everything in between since i moved the bush.

most nights are about 44-46, some have been a bit cooler. the days have been generally pretty warm - as much as 10 degrees above the norm for this time of year...actually today was the 'norm' of mid 60's. it's midnight now and it's about 48 - i think it's going to get a bit chillier tho.

we haven't had any rain since monday and it's been REALLY sunny and was HOT tues, wed, thurs - over 70 each day. so the soil is definitely warmed up - and i've got the mulch on it too, so any heat that's there will be retained.

it was too late when i got home from work (pfft, a half hour ago) to check the moisture content of the soil...i'll do it in the morning. we're not do for any rain for days, so i think i should give it a drink. per the instructions on the root stim pkg, it says to repeat in 2 weeks if needed. it's not 2 weeks yet, so i think i should hold off on that and just give it plain water.

or SHOULD i use a really mild solution of the stim?
by WendyHill on April 30, 2006 03:00 PM
I just read this whole thread, first time I've seen it. I wonder if the fertilizer that you put in the bottom of the hole might be burning the roots.

I've had some bad experiences with over-fertilizing, and the leaves do turn brown and dead rather quickly when a plant is burned by fertilizer.

Have you read about the application of that fertilizer? I may be wrong about that, but I myself would check and see if it might be directly affecting the roots.
by joclyn on April 30, 2006 03:13 PM
thanks, everyone, for your feedback!!! it's been very helpful AND comforting!!

wendy, it's supposed to be put in the hole before you put the plant in and it can be added to the soil later in the season. the stuff is as old as that particular bush (6 years) and it's been sitting in the opened bag out in the garage all this time, so i don't even know if it's any good at all - i figured it couldn't hurt anything so i added it.

it's funny that you bring the subject up, tho!! it crossed my mind the other day too...see, a couple of years ago i put in a hydrangea and i wanted to get the flowers to turn purple...i added av food...and WAY too much! burned the roots and thought i'd killed the plant. luckily it came back the following year!

i was thinking about that and wondering if i'd ended up doing the same thing to the rose by putting the root stim treatment on after i'd already put the pellets in the hole.

i had my nieces' first communion today and i was running late this morning so i didn't get a chance to water it...i DID take a look at the leaves and i see some that aren't dried out...

just got home and i'm not going to deal with watering the bush in the dark. also, i think i should do a proper assessment of it's condition before i water it - i've only had time for quick looks (been a busy week).

my camera is broken so i borrowed a friends for today's event...i'm going to take some pics of the bush so everyone can see what it looks like...

explanations are okay - pics are just better [Wink]
by WendyHill on April 30, 2006 03:57 PM
I use natural fertilizer, have used cow manure mixed in with my compost in the past, right now I use chicken house droppings or horse manure.

I really burned up a couple of plants at one time by using compost that was too "hot". They turned brown and died immediately. What a shock! LOL

Good luck with your rose plant.
by joclyn on May 01, 2006 05:17 PM
well, i finally had some time to really look at the rose.

not all the leaves are dried/dead...there are still some that are obviously still living - and they're spread out throughout the whole bush...that, i think is a really good sign! no new growth tho...and we've had some frost the past couple of nights, so i don't think new growth will be happening yet...

i gave it a really nice soaking today - really glad i did because we're not due for any rain at all for about a week!

i took a good look at the base of all the shoots...the majority still look nice and healthy and green, so i think it will survive - let's hope the summer isn't brutal, tho!!

lol, i wish the weather could stay just how it is right now...about 70 during the day (some days have been a little warmer)...that's good growing temp and this one needs it right now to bounce back completely.
by WendyHill on May 02, 2006 03:39 PM
Sounds like your rose made it.

Your weather sounds great, although I wouldn't want to be having to worry about frost at this time. Here where I live, we have already had 100+ temps. Just went through a drought, fires consumed a lot of the land around here.

Our drought seems to have broken, though, just in time for a beautiful spring. We've had 3 heavy rains, each about a week apart. But temps here jump between chilly enough for jackets, then so hot you just want to stay inside.

It's hard to keep those plants thriving with the flunctuations. Constant battle, but I love gardening.

I have several rose bushes. Haven't figured out how to post pics on this forum yet, would like to share.
by joclyn on May 03, 2006 08:28 AM
yeah, dealing with this really weird weather IS a bit frustrating...especially when you've got stuff growing and you want to keep them that way!!

i hope your property wasn't directly affected by those fires!!

oh, for pics, you need to upload them to a hosting site. i use photobucket.com (it's free). it's really easy to use...they provide the info you need to copy/paste into the post to create a link to the pic.
by joclyn on May 05, 2006 04:51 AM
here's some pics of my rose...

-

-
by joclyn on May 21, 2006 09:27 AM
all the leaves are dried up. the stalks are still green.

-

should i cut this back by half? what about putting some epsom salts in the soil around it?
by peppereater on May 21, 2006 09:49 AM
joclyn...others might disagree with me, but I would cut all the stalks back to about 8 inches. Let all of the plants energy go to putting out fewer new leaves...assuming it leafs back out. It has been severely stressed, and needs to conserve it's energy. Try a little more root stimulator, but no extra feed at this time. It would be good to sprinke Rose-Tone or any good slow release around, though. No miracle grow or anything, though.

-
Dave
by Squirrel on May 21, 2006 09:54 AM
I`ve heard of people using epsom salts before, but I don`t know what it does. Can anyone fill me in? Thanks Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by peppereater on May 21, 2006 10:10 AM
I've looked into that a lot, and gotten conflicting information. Mainly epsoms is good for a magnesium deficiency, which is rarely a problem. There are many claims made that it is good for roses, tomatoes, etc., that it helps them use other nutrients more efficiently, etc., but one tomato expert, one of the countries foremost, says that a plant will only use the magnesium it needs and not more, so it's not worth adding to most soils.

-
Dave
by Squirrel on May 21, 2006 10:15 AM
Thanks for the info, Dave. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by joclyn on May 21, 2006 11:19 AM
dave, that's exactly what i was thinking. the stalks are still green and i'm not seeing any new growth at all. my instinct is that cutting it back would encourage it to recover (it would have less plant to worry about keeping nourished).

we got a good bit of rain since all this happened - i don't think the roots were affected badly tho; otherwise i think the whole thing would be brown by now.

here's a link for info on using epsom salts in the garden.

on other threads around here, people have commented that the epsom salts have helped their roses grow better. wasn't sure if i should or not since i already have the rose food there and i did already treat with the root stimulant (altho all the rain we've had recently has probably diluted that stuff by now).

i think i will cut it back a bit...not quite down to 8 inches (i've never taken it back that much). i doubt trimming it back some will hurt it - no leaves growing anyway...
by tkhooper on May 22, 2006 01:05 AM
Just be careful not to cut past any graphing incase it has a root stock. You don't want to cause it to revert or whatever they call it when the root stock becomes dominate. I wish I were better at remembering terms and stuff but I'm not. I usually just remember enough to get in trouble lol.

-
 -
by Sir Ts Princess on May 22, 2006 02:10 AM
Around here, our roses meet with regular lawn mowing disasters. If worse comes to worse, and you loose all the leaves, stalks turn brown, etc...let the weedeater or lawn mower take care of it. THEN, cover it's little stalk. Give it some care. And, next year not only will it have grown, but it should bloom too.

I hate to be the "bearer of bad news", but this is an option. Needless to say, I'm fixing to move all our roses and put them in a raised bed. Bad, bad lawn mowers!!!!!!! [Frown]

-
by joclyn on May 22, 2006 08:04 AM
the thing that really kills me about this...

i'd trimmed it back a bit, then done a bit more and it was looking absolutely FANTASTIC! it had bushed out really, really nicely and was covered with buds...

i'll cut it back, nothing really severe tho - just in half. i like the way it's branched at the moment and if i go to far with cutting it back, i'll lose that.

princess, i put pavers along my beds so that i don't have any of those 'lawn-mower incidents'. the pavers do double duty - they keep the grass from growing into the bed and they're a guideline of where to stop mowing...
by Sir Ts Princess on May 22, 2006 08:36 AM
Our lawn mowing disasters are due to the fact that my MIL does not create beds. She just plants stuff where she takes a notion and rarely weeds around the plants. Thus...lawn mower accidents. So, I'm creating beds for her.

-
by joclyn on May 22, 2006 09:00 AM
what is she thinking?! [shocked]

plants NEED a nice bed to lay in so they grow healthy and strong!!! [Big Grin]

if she doesn't want really delineated beds or something that is really visible, try what i did: i layed the edgers (those scalloped kind that are about 1 1/2 long) out flat. just to mark off the area as well as kill the grass (less to dig up) before i actually put them upright in the soil.

it looks nice just the way it is and when your a few feet away, you don't even notice them because the grass is taller than they are. and, they make a nice base for the wheels of the mower to get that bit of grass growing closest to them.

i might end up leaving them just as they are instead of digging up the dirt to put them upright.
by peppereater on May 22, 2006 11:46 AM
joclyn...how much rootball did you get with the rose when you moved it? This is an unusually bad case.
As I said before, others might disagree, but in my experience, I'd cut back severely. Let the root system get re-established before it has to support top growth...that's the basis of your problem, as I'm convinced you didn't let it die from lack of water. You can train it for good structure later...this is entinsive care for the rose at this point! I'd use root stimulator at half strength once a week all season long, but no fertilizer besides that. Your rose has had about all the stress it can take for this year. I'm assuming you got a decent rootball?
Sorry, but I've killed a few roses in my time... [Embarrassed] [Frown]

-
Dave
by joclyn on May 22, 2006 02:33 PM
i got whatever roots were there. and there were not a lot which seemed odd because it's been in the same spot for 5 years. and has grown phenominally every year - even the first year! it grew to over 6 feet tall the first year!

it does have a very long taproot and i made sure to get the whole thing (had to dig down more than a foot so as not to break it off).

no i haven't let this die. i did maintain watering it regularly initially - then the weather turned very rainy so i haven't had to put water down on it in the past couple of weeks.

i didn't put down an additional treatment of the root stimulant (package directions say it can be reapplied in two weeks). i guess i will do that. will the epsom salts be helpful or should i skip them?
by Sir Ts Princess on May 22, 2006 02:57 PM
Umm, from the sound of things...your rose REALLY needs intensive care. Don't feel bad, so do mine since meeting with yet another lawn mower accident. I dug them up today, ended up causing the whole thing to do a major wilt (hey, it was blazing hot sun and 95 degrees). I cut them completely back all the way to a stalk. However, I buried the stems I cut off as well, sometimes these can grow roots, sometimes they don't. After cutting it back, I covered it over with soil (yes, this was intentional) it needs to root then grow again. Also, since I WANT green growth...it's going to need it, I soaked it in a heavily diluted nitrogen solution (3/4-1 tsp. nitrogen fertilizer to a couple gallons water) for a half hour or so before planting it in it's new home for the next year...a HUGE pot [Smile] I intend to keep it watered when the soil is dry (crumbly) to the touch and it obviously needs water. And feed it as I do all my plants every couple of weeks once I see some new growth. We don't keep root stimulator here, so...I do what I can, when I can...ya know. Perhaps you could get a plant food spike for it. You'd only need 1 spike to get you from now to autumn when it should begin going into dormancy. I used one for houseplants last year because my rose was so severly traumatized by the tornado. I got one bloom last year (which was a shock), probably won't get any this year.

I'm not sure about the epsom, but I might use some (1-2 tsp) mixed with my normal feeding of beer and coffee (1/2 can beer, 1/4 cup coffee diluted in a 1 gallon watering can). If you saw our roses right now, you'd think it was an empty pot. LOL.

-
by peppereater on May 22, 2006 04:04 PM
A little epsoms won't hurt, but whether it will help is another question. Really, at this point it may be a goner, but what matters most is keeping it moist but not drowned. There are no quick fixes in the form of fertilizers. It needs time to establish some new roots and adapt to it's new site. Root stimulator isn't a miracle cure, either, but it could help some. The best thing now is to keep your fingers crossed!

-
Dave
by joclyn on May 26, 2006 06:16 AM
YAY!!! there's new growth!!! just a few spots on just a couple of the stalks...but it's there!!

so, i didn't prune down as far as i was going to originally...those that had growth were cut to just above where the new growth is and any that didn't have any sprouting leafs were cut back further.

phew! i was beginning to think it was gone for sure!!

thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: uh oh. another unhappy looking succulent| Next thread: Uh-oh »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: