The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

american boxwood killer unknown

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: America climbing rose| Next thread: American chestnut trees »
Back to Thread index
by jabethkailey3 on April 13, 2006 09:53 AM
We have a house that is three years old, and has several american boxwoods in the flowerbed out front. I have other flowering plants in there now, and all have been doing really great in past years, but all of the sudden my boxwoods are looking a little dry, then mostly dry, then dead, and whatever is doing it literally from one side of the bush to the whole thing, then to the start of another. we've lost them one by one gradually. I've treated, but have no idea why just the boxwoods are being attacked, or what it could be. Someone mentioned a root beatle? what could I do for that? Please HELP!
by Longy on April 14, 2006 03:36 AM
Could be the disease phytophthera described in this website.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/plantdiseasefs/450-614/450-614.html

-
The secret is the soil.
by jabethkailey3 on April 14, 2006 05:59 AM
That looks like a possibility, as well as the other nematode option written about later in that same article. I've applied fungicides and such, but maybe for some reason this year my flowerbeds just aren't draining like they should be... I'll have to look into it:) Thanks!
(It's amazing to me that you knew where to find this. I had already tried a search for it:)
by Longy on April 14, 2006 12:48 PM
Phytophthera is almost impossible to control. Various forms of it affect all sorts of plants from tomatoes and other vegies to fruit trees and large trees. Resistant varieties are being hybridized all the time with the food crops. It may be best to remove the ones which are dead and replace with something else which is not susceptible. Drastic measures.The disease, if that's what it is , will almost certainly travel to the other plants.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: America climbing rose| Next thread: American chestnut trees »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: