The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

forsythia fears

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: forsythia don't bloom| Next thread: Forsythia is looking odd... »
Back to Thread index
by kid on April 10, 2006 01:27 PM
hello,

i'm a newbie. i have a question that comes with a bit of a back story. so here it goes...

last year, on the property line of my family's house, a row of about 10 forsythia bushes (10ft tall) were cut down 4 to 8 inches above the ground. nothing but stumps. it was done because of septic problems during heavy rains. my father ordered the bushes cut down out of speculation. we had the county come out and check it and they said the bushes weren't the problem at all. so at the behest of my mother (who loved the bushes as natural fence) i have a few questions.

are the bushes dead? i'm guessing there's no chance of saving them. is there a way to accelerate their decomposition or is digging them out the only way to clear them? can i plant some younger bushes next to them and hope they grow and replace the old ones (without removing the old stumps)? there are power lines along the border so i'm looking for the easiest solution.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks!

john
by obywan59 on April 10, 2006 01:46 PM
I doubt very much if they are dead. Forsythia are notoriously hard to kill. I'm thinking you will soon see signs of new growth, and they will probably come back better and stronger than ever.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by weezie13 on April 10, 2006 08:36 PM
Yep, I agree with Terry...
Those bushes are very hard to kill!!!

What time of year were they cut down?

You should see some spring growth soon!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by johnCT on April 10, 2006 09:52 PM
Most likely not dead. Keep an eye out for new growth.

John - Zone 6
by kid on April 11, 2006 02:09 PM
thanks for your thoughts. it's good news to hear.

weezie13: the trees were cut down around late June, early August last year.

we were hoping they would come back and 'forgive' the mistake. haven't seen any growth as of yet. like i said, the stumps are about 4 to 6 inches in diameter and stick out about from 4 inches to a foot out of the ground. no branches at all. i'll keep a look out for signs of life.

thanks again!
by weezie13 on April 11, 2006 07:42 PM
Now that strikes me a bit strange..

I'm growing zone 5, as should you be...
And mine are showing signs of "spring"....

Was anything else done to the plant/bush
after cutting?

quote:
it was done because of septic problems during heavy rains.
My next thought then turns to this......

What were the problems??
Did it over flow?
And are the plants/bush down from it,
*like if it broke or leaked, would it run
into where they are?????

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on April 11, 2006 09:16 PM
Do you have any pictures of the bushes before they were cut down. I don't think I've ever seen a trunk that big on that type of bush.

-
 -
by obywan59 on April 11, 2006 10:16 PM
Actually, if you start when they are new, forsythias can be pruned to become trees. I've seen a picture of a forsythia trained to a single trunk that had a trunk that big or larger. It is quite unusual though.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by kid on April 11, 2006 10:18 PM
i'll see if i can get some pics and post them later today.

when it rains heavy, all the toilets back up and the sinks back up a little. our property is a little lower than the property to the west of us and the runoff runs to the east, directly under the row of forsythias. the thinking was that the roots were choking the pipes. but apparently not after inspection.

the bushes themselves were around 20+ years old and had not been trimmed in the last 4-5 years prior to being cut.
by kid on April 11, 2006 10:21 PM
i forgot to mention,

as far as i know, nothing was done after cutting. they weren't cured or treated. just cut for removal and access to the drainage pipes.
by joclyn on April 15, 2006 11:37 PM
it might take a year or two for you to see new growth.

when i bought my house, the previous owners had cut down a bush - just left a stump in the ground. i had no idea what it was.

the second summer i was there, i saw some new shoots come up. i just let it go and now i've got a small (but very healthy) green-leafed bush. in 4 years it's grown up to about 2 1/2 feet.

if you want the forsythia to grow back, i'd suggest just leaving the stumps be. don't do anything to them - new growth will appear at some point.
by kid on April 19, 2006 03:14 AM
sorry for not posting in a while.

i don't have a digital camera and had to borrow from a neighbor. then i had to find a way to reference the pics and upload them.

here's what the problem looks like...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53567741@N00/?saved=1

these were taken today.
by weezie13 on April 19, 2006 03:17 AM
Why is it soooooooo brown around just the area's
of the trees, just outta curiousity?????

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by kid on April 19, 2006 05:12 AM
the branches were so large that they actually extended that far out covering the ground, preventing sunlight. they were more like trees. about 12 to 14 feet high before being cut. in some areas the equipment (tractors/plows) dug deep into the ground turning it.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: forsythia don't bloom| Next thread: Forsythia is looking odd... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: