The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lorapetalum propogation

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Loquat germinated!| Next thread: Lost bees, no pollination... »
Back to Thread index
by Dixie Angel on February 21, 2006 05:37 AM
Jim and I transplanted our six lorapetalum bushes to a different spot this week-end. When Jiffy stopped by, she said that I could start some more bushes by propogation. Alas, I have forgotten how she said to do it...

Do I just take a cutting and stick it in water or do I take a cutting and put some "root tone" on it and stick it in the dirt? Should I wait until Spring is fully here?

We have 10 (had to go buy four more) lorapetalum shrubs out near the highway now to line the easement and to provide a little bit of privacy. I am sure I will need more to fill in and I may even want to go down our driveway with them. At $8 per each one gallon shrub, that could cost a small fortune. Forget about getting the three gallon size...

Jiffy, are you around here somewhere? Someone? Please help me figure out what to do...

Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance...

Dianna

-
 -
by obywan59 on February 22, 2006 01:29 PM
Dianna, the only information I have on lorapetalum says to take cuttings in late July with rooting hormone. Stick them in peat:perlite and mist. The rooting mix shouldn't hold too much moisture or the cuttings will rot.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Dixie Angel on February 23, 2006 06:01 AM
Thank you, Terry. I couldn't remember what Jiffy told me when she stopped by and it was aggravating me that I had forgotten...

Dianna

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Loquat germinated!| Next thread: Lost bees, no pollination... »
Back to Thread index