The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Japanese maple "Orangeola"

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by barleychown on February 15, 2006 12:06 PM
Does anyone have this variety? I'm wondering if the description is close to what it truely looks like in person.

"Spring growth is orange-red, summer leaves maintain a wash of orange over lush green, bright orange-red in fall. Deeply-cut leaves and weeping habit."

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by Patty S on February 15, 2006 02:28 PM
I don't have it, but I've seen it & it's absolutely to die for! (I've also seen Japanese Maples that have been spliced... giving each half of the bush its own unique colors! Watch for these at street fairs & Farmers Markets, where people set up booths.)

WE had a Japanese Maple when we lived in Washington for a few years... (the previous owners had stupidly planted it in the back yard, where nobody could see it, but it was too large by the time we got there, to move it without damaging it.) They're low maintenence, easy to keep at a decent height, & look SOO nice in the center of a big flower bed! They're a bit spendy (or maybe I'm just too cheap! [dunno] ) but I think you'be real happy with a few of those in your new yard!

-
 -
by barleychown on February 16, 2006 12:13 AM
Thanks, Patty!

I'm thinking of using this one as the focal point of the bed by the front door. It seems colorful and I love the weeping effect. [grin] It's not priced toooooo bad, considering it's a tree.

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by obywan59 on February 17, 2006 03:43 AM
Japanese maples are awesome! I don't have orangeola, but I've seen it. I have Red Dragon, Osakazuki, and acer japonicum vitifolium, a type of full moon maple. Check out this nursery here in Virginia. I've been dying to drive up and get me a few of these!

http://www.japanesemaples.com/

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Jerky_Jones on May 02, 2006 09:33 AM
I have an Orangeola. They're great. Mine's still small, I've had it for 3 years and it was TINY when I got it. They are surprisingly sun-tolerant IF you water them often (2 times a week, deep). I'm not getting any orange colors, though. I'm 100% sure it's an orangeola. Either they get orange when more mature, or it's climate or sun-related, I don't know. Can't figure it out. Mine stays a wine-red most of the time. I still recommend them, because the "orange" color is only one aspect. They are pretty hardy, which is desirable. I have 10 japanese maples, all different cultivars. It's hot and dry where I live. I find they vary somewhat for preferred conditions but generally speaking, a couple/few hours of direct sun, but a good amount of shade or dappled sun (some sun, some shade) is what they like. And if you don't get regular rain you have to water them religiously.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: