The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Merme's Roast

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Merme & Maxi's Porch Garden| Next thread: Merry Christmas!!! »
Back to Thread index
by peppereater on December 27, 2005 12:36 PM
My brain is malfunctioning lately, I think it's the holidays. I have missed Merme's posts, and she has probably missed mine, but we've been tr ying to dream up an awsome recipe for pork roast. Merme, tell me what type of pork roast you have, and which veggies you and Maxie like. Sauer Kraut? Taters?
HOw about you other folks? Favorite pork roast recipes? I like to keep things simple.
by Merme on December 27, 2005 12:59 PM
Dave ~ my pork roast is a two pound, boneless one.

We love all the vegetables, and I personally am very fond of Sauerkraut but I'm not at all sure Maxi would eat it though he does enjoy cabbage soup. I think the tart taste of Sauerkraut might be too much for him.

Potatoes are our #1 favorite food in the world.

Lynne posted a recipe from Spain for the roast and it has unfamiliar ingredients (to me) in it. Did you read that? It's down in recipes.

Simple is good to my way of thinking!

I'd rather not put it in the crockpot as the butcher was kind of shocked when I suggested such a thing. He assured me it was OK to do it that way, but he believed in the oven would be better...

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by 4Ruddy on December 27, 2005 01:08 PM
Merme, I do pork & sauerkraut a lot. If you bake the roast covered with the kraut and I cut up potatoes and add to it...my grandkids all love it that way..it takes some of the "tartness" out of the kraut. I also do pork chops the same way. I also flour & seer the pork before baking to seal in the juices...the only thing with pork is that you have to be careful not to over cook because it can dry it out. The kraut also tenderizes the pork while cooking...

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by ChristinaC on December 27, 2005 01:39 PM
Merme...cooking a pork roast depends on what type of roast you have. Is it a loin or a butt cut or shoulder??? If it's a loin, no need to do much...make a glaze for it and pop it in the oven...mustard, brown sugar and thyme is wonderful. If it's a butt or shoulder cut..the best thing to do is braise it at a low temperature...braising it in apple juice is wonderful. I don't have an exact recipe to follow but I'm sure I could come up with something if you're interested.
Christina

-
 -
by Triss on December 27, 2005 01:40 PM
I like stuffing mine with peppers, sprinkling it with garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper and then a half a can of coke. Covering it and baking it. Turns out very tender and once it comes out you pull it apart and the meat mixes witht eh jucies and it so so sweet and yummy. Over rice or fried potatoes.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by 4Ruddy on December 27, 2005 01:48 PM
OMG Triss...that sounds so good...I'm going to have to try that!

~V~

-
 -

by Triss on December 27, 2005 01:52 PM
It is so good. I also use that pork for enchiladas and pork tacos. It is just awesome and now talking about it means I am going to have to make it this week.

One thing about this one is you have to cook it until it falls apart. But it stays tender cuz it is covered and has the coke inside the pan to keep it moist.

-
 -
by peppereater on December 27, 2005 11:35 PM
Lynne, I saw your recipe...I have never seen the sour orange juice before, but just yesterday, when I was looking in a cookbook, I saw it used for a Cuban pork roast.
Isn't adobo smoked chiles in oil? Sounds like a yummy recipe.
Merme, if you don't know exactly what cut the roasr is, is it streaked with lots of fat, or is it lean? Is it a flat sort of cut or more round? I love rosemary with pork. My pork roasts tend to come out a little dry. I haven't cooked a lot of them because pork steak, chops and "country style" ribs are really cheap when they're on sale, and so versatile.
I've cooked pork with potatoes and carrots covered with 2 cans of sauerkraut, and it's great, and can't really be over cooked.
What I might try is something I do with beef...put quartered potatoes and large slices of carrots in a roasting pan, sear the roast and place on top of taters, cover the roast with whole peeled garlic cloves, then slices of 1 bell pepper and 1 onion, some italian seasoning and then drizzle 1 or 2 tablespoons of olive oil and about a quarter cup of red wine, then bake at 325 for about an hour and a half or two hours. Or you might try just searing the pork, putting it in the pan (oh yeah, oil the pan or spray in Pam first) with potatoes and carrots, then lay fresh rosemary and some garlic cloves on top of the meat and drizzle with a little olive oil and bake. The time would be more critical with this, but keeping the temp low helps a lot. I'd bake either of these covered. Hmmmm...I've got to get a pork roast as soon as all this ******* turkey is gone! [Big Grin] [muggs]
by plants 'n pots on December 27, 2005 11:42 PM
quote:
Lynne, I saw your recipe...I have never seen the sour orange juice before, but just yesterday, when I was looking in a cookbook, I saw it used for a Cuban pork roast.
Isn't adobo smoked chiles in oil? Sounds like a yummy recipe.
Pepper - very interesting that you said Cuban, because I did think that the woman was Cuban, but she's really my husband's friend and he thought Spanish, though he's been known to be wrong before! [dunno]

The woman actually sent home a bottle of the sour orange juice in case I couldn't find it, but I have had no problem finding it in every grocery store around here. The Adobo is a seasoning.

Here's a link to their homepage - I hope I'm allowed to post it?

Adobo

You had mentioned that your pork roasts come out a bit dry. This recipe makes the roast very tender and juicy. But, again, it is on the sour citrus side, so please take that into consideration.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Merme on December 28, 2005 01:59 AM
Thanks for all these wonderful tips, everyone!

They all sound so yummy for different reasons, so I might have to buy at least a few more of these roasts to try them all in the months ahead! KEWL!

I do not know what type of pork roast it is, Dave. But it is long and flat looking with a slightly rounded top. It is NOT shaped like my sirloin tip roast (very round!) or even a chuck roast... it is longer and flatter than that. And, when I looked at the package before sticking it in the freezer, it seemed fairly lean, with just a few obvious streaks of fat on the top. Any speculation about what I might have?

Oh, and on January 8th, I am taking a big tray of Spanakolpetes to church for our monthly brunch. I am thinking everyone will enjoy them very much.

Have you guys ever tried them?

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by peppereater on December 28, 2005 02:11 AM
Spanakolpetes? No, what are they?
by Merme on December 28, 2005 04:16 AM
Spanakolpetes are an appetizer made of phyllo dough cut into narrow (2 inch wide) strips, filled with a cooked mixture of spinach, feta cheese and ricotta or pot cheese with some spices, folded into a triangle shape (the way you used to make paper "footballs" as a kid), brushed with melted butter then baked. Served hot or at room temperature, they are DELICIOUS!

Merme

-
 -

by ChristinaC on December 28, 2005 04:23 AM
That sounds like a loin cut Merme...very tender, very lean. I cooked one a couple weeks ago..I butterflied it and made a mushroom and leek stuffing mixture...spread it on the roast and rolled it back up. It was delicious!
We had spanakolpetes at my mom's on Christmas Eve..very yummy, though very rich. I never knew what they were called..always referred to the as "those phyllo things with spinach inside"..now I know...Thanks!!
Christina

-
 -
by peppereater on December 28, 2005 10:09 AM
Man, merme, those sound delicious! Spinach, cheese and dough, Oh Oh!
Christina...that sounds wonderful. I have seen lots of references to butterflying pork roasts, haven't tried it, but YOURS sounds just totally awesome. Now, what REALLY sounds good is some wild mushrooms in there!
Hmmmmm....
I've cooked center cut whole loin, my favorite recipe calls for searing the loin, peeling 4 (I use 8 or 12) cloves of garlic, add to pot with 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley and 1 liter burgundy. Roast for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, remove pork, reduce liquid by 1/3, add flour to make a gravy, serve with steamed potatoes.
This recipe is called "intoxicated pork."
I wonder why? [Big Grin]
by Triss on December 28, 2005 12:12 PM
quote:
4 (I use 8 or 12) cloves of garlic,
Oh YEAH!!!! My kinda cook, you can NEVER use too much garlic!

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on December 28, 2005 12:17 PM
quote:
My kinda cook, you can NEVER use too much garlic!
I saw a chicken recipe that called for 40 cloves of garlic...and I am gonna try it...

~V~

-
 -

by Triss on December 28, 2005 12:22 PM
I have seen that one. I think we may have even tried it.

One thing I like to do is to get a hand full of full heads of garlic and peel them all then place them in a square of foil and drizzle with olive oil. Close the container and bake the packet at 350 until the garlic is tender. It is excellent on crackers when you mix it with creamed cheese.

The mashed roasted garlic is also a great rub for steak or chicken.

-
 -
by Merme on December 29, 2005 01:00 PM
Triss ~ I love roasted garlic also. I even do roasted onions once in a while.

By the way, everyone ~ I posted the recipe for Spanakolpetes down in recipes...

Merme

-
 -

by weezie13 on December 31, 2005 02:14 AM
Peppereater/Merme,
Moved your ROAST to RECIPES!!!! [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Merme & Maxi's Porch Garden| Next thread: Merry Christmas!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: