The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

tomato leaf curl problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: TOMATO JUICE RECIPE| Next thread: Tomato Leaves »
Back to Thread index
by court on June 20, 2006 10:24 AM
if anyone has any ideas as to what this leaf curl on the top leaves of my tomato plant are could you shed some info?! i don't think i'm watering too much, and they are in full sun. they also did not look like this when i bought the plant about 2 weeks ago.

any ideas??!  -

Happy Growing!
by peppereater on June 20, 2006 01:07 PM
Leaf curl can be a harmless genetic trait, or it an be a response to too much nitrogen, heat stress, etc. If there are no pests on the leaves, and you keep the moisture and fertilizer regulated, it's not a problem. Watch for any discoloration, or browning of leaves, etc.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by tkhooper on June 20, 2006 03:42 PM
Last year mine did that when they were happy. I was growing Roma and they would do that everytime I fertilized. Then they would have a growth spurt and reach there leaves way up high. I loved watching it.

-
 -
by Momma Bird on June 21, 2006 03:40 AM
We watered very deep last night (before dark) and they are back to normal this morning. I was worried that we were overwatering. Underwatering we can fix. Thanks for the help.

Now if we can just get that upside down thingy to work! Second plant to put in and it is dying as well. God did not intend plants to grow upside down I think. Or we must have done something wrong.

Momma Bird
by lund on June 21, 2006 02:12 PM
One of my tomato plants has developed curling leaves tinged with purple. Some of the new leaves are very stunted. Any help?
by lund on June 21, 2006 04:14 PM
The tomato plant that has leaf curling is a Lemon Bot and has tiny leaves (new growth) that are purple. Do I need to get rid of this plant? It's about two feet tall and was doing really well. Now some of the big bottom growth leaves have some purple tinge on the edges.
by Longy on June 21, 2006 05:54 PM
curling leaves tinged with purple. Some of the new leaves are very stunted.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Your tomato is suffering from a phosphorous deficiency. This may be because your soil is deficient in P or because the soil Ph is out, probably acidic.
To correct acid soil, you need to add lime or dolomite to the soil but the effects will take at least a season to be noticed.
If the problem is simply a phosphorous deficiency because the soil has too little P, a high phosphate liquid fert may remedy the problem.
My bet is on the soil Ph being out.

-
The secret is the soil.
by johnCT on June 22, 2006 01:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by lund:
The tomato plant that has leaf curling is a Lemon Bot and has tiny leaves (new growth) that are purple. Do I need to get rid of this plant? It's about two feet tall and was doing really well. Now some of the big bottom growth leaves have some purple tinge on the edges.
How much sun does the plant get? How do you fertilize? What kind of potting mix is it planted in?

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: TOMATO JUICE RECIPE| Next thread: Tomato Leaves »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: