The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Osage Orange

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Ornamental Sweet Potatoes| Next thread: Osage orange correction »
Back to Thread index
by Willys on May 25, 2006 05:24 PM
I have an Osage Orange Tree in my yard that provides great shade but when the hedge apples start falling not only do they mess the patio but you don't want to be under one when they fall. Is their any way to treat this tree(with herbicide) so it will not fruit? I tried a few of the hundreds of pounds for insect repellant, did not see much of a change. I am tired of picking them up. Thanks
by Longy on May 25, 2006 06:41 PM
Well, i don't know of a spray that inhibits fruit production. Maybe you'd need to stress the tree in some way to get the flowers to fall off so the fruit doesn't form in the first place.

Many trees will lose their flowers if sprayed with a copper based fungicide while the flowers are open. This happens with mango and avocado amongst others. I don't know if that would work and i'm certainly not recommending it but it may be an avenue to pursue further. You may need to ask an arborist about that type of treatment. If it's a big tree though it may be pointless. Any plant that is in the wrong place i refer to as a weed:-)Do you own a chainsaw?
Is the tree too big to remove the fruit when young or perhaps to tip prune the flowers off?
What about if you hung some netting immediately under the canopy all the way around the tree and when a fruit drops it hits the netting and rolls to the trunk and drops there???
I dunno. Seems like someone didn't do their homework before planting a tree.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Willys on May 30, 2006 01:22 PM
Thanks for the post, As far as the tree being planted, I'm guessing that was done over 100 years ago since my house is almost that old. The interesting thing about the Osage Orange is I have never seen a flower on it, the seed pods simply begin to develop when the Spring comes. I like the idea about the netting, would love to hear some more feedback. Thanks
by Willys on May 30, 2006 01:27 PM
I have thought about the chainsaw, It would go through some chains since the trunk is six feet around. A tree removal service would be the only way.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ornamental Sweet Potatoes| Next thread: Osage orange correction »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: