The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

can I use these??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Can I use| Next thread: Can I use this in my flower bed compost??? »
Back to Thread index
by Tonya on June 07, 2006 03:45 PM
I bought some citronella candles in small terra cotta pots last year and was wondering if there was a way to clean and reuse the pots for starter pots?? I figure, they ARE the perfect size, but don't want to kill my plants, either. Any ideas? [dunno]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Longy on June 07, 2006 06:32 PM
Boil some water and drop them in. Maybe a few drops of vinegar in there too.
The smell, taste, flavour may be transferred to the boling pot, so don't use your best stainless soup pot for this. MAybe a big old tin can.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Tonya on June 08, 2006 12:53 AM
Cool! Thanks Longy! [muggs] [grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by plants 'n pots on June 08, 2006 01:21 AM
Tonya, I know just the pots you mean, and I also have some. The only thing I'd like to add to Longy's response, is that those pots don't have drainage holes, right? You'll need to be careful not to overwater. Is there anyway to put holes in the bottom?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Tonya on June 08, 2006 02:28 AM
My hubby works as a construction superintendant...I will borrow his drill. [lala] he'll never know! [grin] I'll let you know if it works or if it breaks the pot.

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by penny in ontario on June 08, 2006 06:57 AM
I have never known anyone to use them but as long as they are cleaned out well, i dont see why not.
Good luck with them.

-
 -

-
by margaret e. pell on June 09, 2006 10:27 AM
I use them, too. I boiled them in a cooking pot I then ran through the dishwasher (If my husband knew what I use the kitchen stuff for when he's not around, he'd never eat anything I make!) and then drilled holes in them. I drill holes in lots of things. I got a ceramic drill bit at the hardware store for some coffee mugs and it goes through unglazed terra cotta like butter!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Tonya on June 16, 2006 02:21 AM
I boiled them and then washed them to get any residue out. Doug had taken his screw gun to work, so I got a self starting screw and a screwdriver and made the holes. I planted some jalepenos in one and am thinking of putting a baby spider plant in the other. Thanks all!! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Can I use| Next thread: Can I use this in my flower bed compost??? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: