The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

moss/coconut hanging baskets

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Moss Anyone?| Next thread: Moss on my bricks »
Back to Thread index
by auntnene on May 14, 2006 04:47 AM
I just planted my geraniums in two wire/moss/coconut hair hanging baskets and am now wondering about the water. Do these type baskets hold more water? Less? or Same as a plastic pot? I really don't want to have root rot and they look like they might not need watering as much. If you have used them or know anything about them, I would love to hear feedback on them.

Thanks

Please God, make me as good as my cat thinks I am!
by Jiffymouse on May 14, 2006 10:42 AM
[wavey] so good to see you, it's been awhile. i don't have any, but i do know there are two kinds. one has a plastic "liner" between layers of coconutt fiber. those are the one that will cause root rot if you aren't careful.
by loz on May 14, 2006 02:06 PM
I bought one without the plastic liner, actually when Jiffy was here the first time to visit. There was one left and she said if I didn't buy it she would..... [Big Grin]

Anyway, mine leaks water out really bad. [Razz]

I might hang it off the tree so the water doesn't drip all over the porch when I water it. [thumb]
by auntnene on May 15, 2006 01:31 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I pop in every now and then to see what's growing in ya'lls gardens [Smile]

I don't see any plastic liner and it doesn't seem very wet this morning. I love the way it looks but since I didn't see it drip water, I thought I may have goofed. I have a tough time with geraniums anyway and decided to try one more time with them. I don't know why, but they would rather rot and die then live with me [shocked] If I had my computer, I would send you a picture while they are still alive and gorgeous. It crashed and I'm at the mercy of my hubby's laptop [Smile]

Please God, make me as good as my cat thinks I am!
by Longy on May 16, 2006 07:39 PM
Coconut fibre (coir) hanging baskets are great for geraniums. |They will dry out fairly quickly in a windy situation and may require more frequent watering in hot, dry spells.
The speed with which they drain and dry out will also depend on the potting medium you used. The coir itself is very free draining.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Moss Anyone?| Next thread: Moss on my bricks »
Back to Thread index