The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I need help with sweet-potatoe puffs!!

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by angelblossom on December 18, 2005 11:12 PM
I don't know what could go wrong between putting in the oven to bake , taking out peeling and mashing with fork.. the potatos are so soft that there's no way to roll into a ball let alone add sugar and butter which will make it softer .
I have both boiled and baked potatoe(s) mashed seperately with the same result, Then I refridgerated over night , to no avail. what's happening??? seems like something should be added to make it stiffer to form into a ball??? looks like I'll make pie and bread instead??? [dunno] help!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by tkhooper on December 19, 2005 12:50 AM
sugar and butter aren't going to make them softer.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on January 15, 2006 10:43 PM
It sounds like the potatoes are overcooked or you are adding to much liguids to them....if you have them come out that way again...try adding another egg or maybe a little flour to stiffen them. Or...put the mixture in a casserole dish and put the topping on it and serve a sweet potatoe casserole...

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by tkhooper on January 16, 2006 04:49 AM
In a recipe for sweet potato Croquettes it calls for boiling rather than baking the sweet potatoes before mashing. Maybe this would help you to take them out before they are to soft. Just a thought. I'll post the recipe if you would like.

-
 -
by angelblossom on January 16, 2006 05:27 AM
TK thanks I'm game for trying again.. Plz post reciepe The first time I had just enough water to cover potatoes I guess I boiled too long??? [dunno] That's why I baked but seemed too soft to form again I must have over baked But I love sweetpotatos and will eat them anyway I can get 'em.. so it wasn't a loss!

Any extra hints to keep from getting too soft would be appreciated, I'll really keep a keen eye on it this time.. Thanks....

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by tkhooper on January 27, 2006 01:23 AM
I would say that is the problem. Just take them out before they are "finished" cooking. While they are still a little hard to pierce. But remember that sweet potatoes have a lot of starch in them and are going to thicken up as they cool down. Just like mashed potatoes do.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: