The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Any ideas?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by SeptemberMorn on March 23, 2006 07:01 AM
Most of the day I get around in a power chair. My problem is with watering my plants. Most of them are on either side of a narrow sidewalk.

I'm fine while pulling the hose down the walk with me as I water but turning around and going back up the sidewalk drives me MAD! While I can almost go 4Xing in my chair, the dumb thing won't roll over the hose! It just pushes it along! [Mad]

Is there a contraption that would roll the hose back up as I went... sorta like the electrical cord on the old Electrolux vacuums? (Did I just date myself? LOL) Ok... it was a retractable cord. You give it a yank and back in it goes.

The hoses that are spiraled like old phone cords are too short. All I've seen is 10 ft lengths. At that rate, I'd need five of them!!

Any ideas on how I could make my watering easier?

http://photobucket.com/albums/y103/SeptMorn/
by MissJamie on March 24, 2006 01:30 PM
I have seen plastic doohickey's that you can put on the side of your house by the water faucet and when you're done with the hose it worked like the cord on a vaccuum cleaner (like the one you're talking about) and it went back into the plastic doohickey (ok did all that just make since??? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ) maybe you could go to walmart or lowe's or home depot or something and ask if they sell something like that?

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Triss on March 24, 2006 02:13 PM
Checked out Home Depot and they have several models of automatic hose reelers but it looks like on most of them you have to get back to the box to make it work by either pushing a foot pedal or turning the water off.

Another thing I did see that may work better for you are hose guides. You may be able to put them along the walkway and as you go down the walk, have the hose on the garden side of the hose guides to keep the path clear for you to get back down the path with no hose in the way.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Amigatec on March 25, 2006 09:28 AM
Here you go!!

Hozelock Retractable Garden Hose Reel

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by buzylady on March 27, 2006 10:25 PM
I like the guides idea. It would take double the guides, and run the hose in between them. I don't have a power chair but the 'hose thing' is aggravating anyway. So I can only imagine the aggravation that you have septembermorn.
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by SpringFever on April 19, 2006 07:44 AM
What about those coil hoses.. the ones that look like a slinky some are 50 feet long that might be a thought?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Merme on May 06, 2006 12:20 AM
This may be more effort than you'd like but what about installing a drip system? You know, the hose with all the little holes you leave in place and just turn off and on?

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by weezie13 on May 06, 2006 03:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by SpringFeaver:
What about those coil hoses..
Here is my honest testimonial on those hose's..
If you own concrete or blacktop and that's the area you're watering,
then they work great, as long as it's almost a straight shot..

If you have to have it on grass, don't buy it...
they are terrrrrr [Frown] rible ...ooops, can you tell I own one *or 3 actually* and have grass???

They don't coil back up like they say, and are a pain... and you really need a cradle
*basket that holds them in place* or a pole at a 45* angle to hold it in it's place.. if you leave it willy~nilly it doesn't hold it's shape long..

If you use it on like a porch they're okay too..

But if you have an obsticle you need to go around or over, forget it...

And I do know QVC has a hose that reals back up, using the power of the water going out of the hose to bring it back in..
My mom got her self one, FINALLY, works nice but you do have to have it anchored into the ground or mounted on the wall *for leverage* and you have to go back to the holder and press the button in until it stops....

I would love to have one, butttttttttttt, it doesn't accomindate my 4 and 5 hoses' I have to have to reach my "Back 40" area...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by SpringFever on May 06, 2006 02:27 PM
Weezie ...thanks I thought it sounded like it would work .. I have seen them and they looked helpful! Almost got one as well and am happy I didn't! I have a mostly grass area! and if they don't coil back up what use are they..

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by dodge on June 03, 2006 10:15 AM
I agree with the drip system.. Put it down and just use the faucet.......

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum