The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Pond ~ pics

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My Pond| Next thread: my poor aloe vera »
Back to Thread index
by Jiffymouse on July 27, 2006 03:16 PM
here you go. my pond & fish, water hyacinths and all!

-

-

-

-
by Jiffymouse on July 27, 2006 03:20 PM
by the way, that "love grows here" was given to me by loz ~ thank you [kissies]
by Triss on July 27, 2006 03:43 PM
Very pretty Jiffy, How big is the pond? How deep?

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by loz on July 27, 2006 04:11 PM
You're welcome Jiffy. [thumb]

It looks great!!! [thumb] [thumb] How many fish do you have now???? My hyacinths have never bloomed--but they spread like wildfire.

I just threw out a ton of hyacinths AGAIN. They were covering about 80 percent of my pond, so I cleared them out to about 40 percent. I hate throwing them out though so I put some in my birdbath! [Big Grin]
by plants 'n pots on July 27, 2006 04:15 PM
Gorgeous, Jiffy! So green and lush looking!

I have so much trouble growing pond plants - my hyacinths this year are barely hanging on - which is actually better than last years!

Like Triss, I want to know - how big is the pond and how many fish do you have in there?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by patches1414 on July 27, 2006 05:47 PM
Beautiful Jiffy! [thumb] I think ponds are so neat and would like to put one in some day! [lala] Guess that's something else I need to add to my "to do" lists. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Jiffymouse on July 28, 2006 01:03 AM
that is actually a 3-tier "half barrel" pond i got on clearance at kmart a couple of years ago with some b'day $$. think i paid about $50 for it.

it is about 2 ft deep (deep enough the fish overwinter ok). and about 3ft across. the second tier is about the size of an industrial mixing bowl and the third is about the size of a large mixing bowl.

there are about 9 fish in there. one or two are from the first year, the rest are add ins, all were $0.28 "feeder" fish from wally world. i feed them twice a day in summer and about once every week or two (or less) in winter. the pump runs continuously, but i don't have a filter per se. i use the plants in the top tier as the "filter".

thank you all for the compliments!
by Jiffymouse on July 28, 2006 01:05 AM
oh, and the plants are water hyacinth, water lettuce, some parrots feather (you can't see), a plant i bought at the beginning of the summer that i've split 2 times, but now isn't growing so well, and 4 plants from cindy that i don't know what are, but one bloomed!
by SpringFever on July 28, 2006 01:49 AM
I Love the Pond Jiffy sooo lush with plants!! Very cool!! [thumb]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by penny in ontario on July 28, 2006 02:16 AM
Very nice Jiffy...i love it..you've done a great job [thumb]

-
 -

-
by Karrie on July 28, 2006 02:23 AM
Beautiful Jiffy!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by shanbear on July 28, 2006 03:47 AM
Beautiful Jiffy!

So healthy & Green!
by afgreyparrot on July 28, 2006 04:18 AM
Oh, Jiffy...that is so pretty!

I would love to be able to go back and just have my old pond.
It was no hassle at all, and I got so much pleasure from it.

You have so many nice plants in yours!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by cinta on July 28, 2006 02:09 PM
Beautiful Jiffy the plants and the fish look so happy. The sign is so cute.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Jiffymouse on July 28, 2006 02:23 PM
thank you all for your kind words. now if i can just get the rest of my yard looking that way [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by jakesangel on July 29, 2006 12:30 AM
That is so darling! Do you have to keep the Hyacinths pulled back so you can see the fish?

-
Country Roads  -
by cookinmom on July 29, 2006 08:37 AM
I love it Jiffy! Very pretty!
[thumb]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Jiffymouse on July 29, 2006 03:07 PM
i have a spot that i push the plants back, i have water lettuce holding the hyacinths back. i do that twice a day when i feed the fish. the bubbler on the filter is there, so that helps.

i'm hoping to clean it out tomorrow and get it thinned out some. i've promised some of the plants out.
by welldigger on August 01, 2006 02:18 PM
those are really beautiful jiffy where could i get those kind of plants you have a nice pond to by the way and i like how you have it set up. would it be hard to make a water fall out of my lil problem

justin
by Squirrel on August 01, 2006 02:56 PM
Jiffy, just love your pond. The whole thing just screams "HEALTHY". It is sooooo pretty. [thumb] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by ND farm girl on August 03, 2006 08:09 AM
water hyacinths - I'm new to ponds/fountains and just starting to get my feet 'wet'! These are beautiful plants. Can you tell me more about them? I am in zone 3.

PattyM
by ND farm girl on August 03, 2006 12:14 PM
Me again - the water hyacinths - I found some on ebay and bought a few. When I get them - what do I do with them!? Do they just 'float' in the pond?

PattyM
by Jiffymouse on August 03, 2006 02:44 PM
they just float on the pond, but once in a while, you will have to thin them out. their roots can be viscious.
by patches1414 on August 03, 2006 05:56 PM
My friend has a pond and she has some water hyacinths. [Wink] They are so pretty, [flower] but they seem to multiply faster than rabbits! [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Jiffymouse on August 04, 2006 01:15 PM
uh, they DO multiply faster than rabbits! and it only takes 1 to get started [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by patches1414 on August 04, 2006 05:27 PM
She keep telling me if I put in a pond she will give me some, but I think one would be enough. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I would really love to put in a pond, but I think I have too many irons in the fire right now. [Eek!] [nutz]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My Pond| Next thread: my poor aloe vera »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: