The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My new water hole! Its done!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My New Treasures!| Next thread: My old bed! »
Back to Thread index
by Karrie on July 17, 2006 12:03 PM
I think it needs something else though, but what? Any suggestions? Don't mind ill looking plants, they were just watered. We did this today and I pulled out plants from hanging baskets there were getting pot bound. They also about died during my stint in indy when I had to keep them in the kiddy pool for water. I cut them back and hope they grow full again.

-

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Triss on July 17, 2006 12:08 PM
Carrie, I like that. How deep and wide is the pond? Are you putting fish inside?

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 12:18 PM
turtles!!!...thats wat its missing, and fish too!!!
do u have a pump and filter in there? [Smile]
other than that it looks wonder full...how deep and wide is it?
by Karrie on July 17, 2006 12:19 PM
Its actually very small, just as I wanted, and let me tell you I had to fight my husband every step of the way. Its 2.5ft round. about 3 feet deep. We dug it out yesterday and put the liner in this morning when we went out to work there were 3 frogs having a grand time they would jump in the cascade fall area and then splash into the hole. It sits right beside my front porch. I think it will be entertaining when we sit out there with it. The kids want a fish or 2 in there, I am thinking on it. Last time I purchased 2 lil fish and ended up with hundreds. If we do, they will be the same sex I will somehow make sure of it. I just wanted something small for the frogs, as we have them by the tons here. My friend is getting me a lighted up toad stool for it. I am going to love it with that there. I just cant figure out what else it needs. My hubby says its the lack of lilly pad that is throwing me off. I think he might be right. I still need to do the clean up from the project. It was just so hot that after the main part we swam and said forget the rest till later. I can sit on my couch and look out the window right in to the lil area. I just love it.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 12:19 PM
oh never mind my question about pumps and filter...i see u have a water fall setup :thumbsup:!
by Triss on July 17, 2006 12:32 PM
Lily pad would be really nice and maybe some kind of grassy looking plants around one side. That would give it a softer look on one side.

-
 -
by Karrie on July 17, 2006 12:35 PM
I plan on finding some kind of moss to plant around it. I want to make a mossy area all around the rocks. I think the frogies will really like that. I dont think we will go there till next year though. I know it looks so much better when the petunias dont look dead. Rick watered them in direct sun light, I hope they pull out, I think they will but its gonna take a few days. When they are perky I will take a photo. Thanks Triss.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Triss on July 17, 2006 01:08 PM
Ohhh moss will look awesome as well. The froggies will enjoy that.

-
 -
by loz on July 17, 2006 02:08 PM
[muggs] [clappy] Woohoo, you have yourself a pond! [thumb] And froggies! [Big Grin]

I agree with Triss, ornamental grasses are nice.... [thumb]
by Jiffymouse on July 17, 2006 03:33 PM
[thumb] LOVE IT!
by afgreyparrot on July 17, 2006 03:51 PM
Nice looking pond!

quote:
Last time I purchased 2 lil fish and ended up with hundreds. If we do, they will be the same sex I will somehow make sure of it.
If you figure out how to make sure the fish are the same sex, PLEASE let me know!

Cindy
(The one with too many fish.)

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Karrie on July 18, 2006 01:33 AM
Will do Cindy. The water is clear this morning, as soon as the flowers my husband scalded perk up I will take a good picture. And for the record the kids have pestered me in to fish! I am such a sucker! Guess I will have to filter it now, shouldnt be too much with the tiny pump and only 2 fish in there. I draw the line with only 2. Hummm now for tiny filter creation......

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Karrie on July 19, 2006 05:43 AM
2 Fish are in, and I found this lil guy he followed me home from Wal-mart. [Big Grin]

-

Looks right at home don't he?

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by loz on July 19, 2006 05:56 AM
Awww, you rescued him from Walmart! [thumb]
by Triss on July 19, 2006 07:32 AM
What a great face! Perfect for your pond.

-
 -
by eclo on July 19, 2006 07:48 AM
Thats one turtle that won't leave his new home [clappy]

Tell me his name is Tommy? [thumb]

See Ya in the Garden!
by Nashir on July 19, 2006 08:07 AM
hey...just wondering, is WALMART some fish shop in ur town???
by loz on July 19, 2006 08:40 AM
Walmart is a HUGE supercenter store. You can find everything in them from groceries, to clothes, to fish, to plants, etc.....They are located all across the US and other places in the world too......It makes it easy when you go shopping because just about everything you'd want to buy is in one store.
by shanbear on July 19, 2006 09:26 AM
Karrie:

Cute turtle, [thumb] for the fish, and cute pond. I'm thinking about getting a pond in but only next spring. Your pond size is exactly what I'm looking at too.

[muggs]
by Karrie on July 19, 2006 02:23 PM
Sorry Eclo turtle's name is BoBo! I don't know why but that is what I dubbed him yesterday, he lookes like a friendly sorra fella named BoBo to me!

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Nashir on July 20, 2006 04:17 AM
OOH RITE..so WALMART is sumthin glike carrefoure..i get it...its like a CITY CENTER place where u can get absolustely anything...kk i thought it was a pet shop lol
by langford on July 20, 2006 04:24 AM
Very cute pond Karrie...and turtle as well...maybe i ought to invest in one of those turtles..well the guy who was suppose to send me waterplants did just that..like 8 different kinds..i hope to god they bloom away...ya know? I did get some water lettuce...but right now it's so small i don't have any to share..and he sent a note stating it won't live through the winter, i could try to bring it in..but that it probably wouldn't work..what should i do?
by eclo on July 20, 2006 05:35 AM
I have got a lot of water lettuce and would share if anyone needs some. PM me if you are interested. Hey langford, how were the water plants packaged so they made it to you okay? I have never tried to overwinter water lettuce, but I have succesfully overwintered water hyacinth in a five gallon bucket in the greenhouse with a fishtank airpump with a fine airstone in it. I did a 50% water change every other week and my greenhouse never got below 55 degrees. I don't know how it will do if you have to bring it in the house because those kind of plants still need a lot of sun or they will slowly rot.

See Ya in the Garden!
by langford on July 20, 2006 07:04 AM
As far as the packaging...he took a towel and soaked it..and then wrapped it around the roots then put it in like a fast food cup with the lid on it..and then put bubble wrap in between the cups..then he sent me some in pots...they were just in pots with bags around them and bubble wrap around them...So you have to buy new water lettuce each year? I mean that would stink..ya know? If you have extra i would love some more..he only sent me a little peice of it..and i don't know how long it would take until it will spread..but i'm thinking by time it spreads out enough summer will be over..
by langford on July 20, 2006 07:29 AM
Hey Eclo, do i need to plant that water lettuce in a pot..or do i just let the roots hang in the water?
by eclo on July 20, 2006 05:37 PM
Let the roots dangle in the water! It floats and it spreads really fast in the right conditions.... lots of sun and dont let water splash on it...it doesnt like water splashing on it like from a waterfall!... PM me with your address and I will try sending you some more. [Smile]

See Ya in the Garden!
by jakesangel on July 24, 2006 03:57 PM
Karrie your water garden is adorable! I think I've seen your BoBo at Wally-World too! lol

My little pond is coming along s l o w l y. lol You can't find good rock or plants around here so I guess we'll be making a trip to Jackson this wk.

Eclo if the offer is still open I would love to try water lettuce. I would defintely have to stop my bubbler tho.

-
Country Roads  -
by Jiffymouse on July 25, 2006 06:51 AM
i have sent, successfully, water lettuce and water hyacinth by just picking the plant up out of the water, let it drain just a bit, then seal it in a ziplock freezer bag. then i put that in another freezer bag, then put it in either a bubble envelope or a box.

and, i have water lettuce that doesnt mind the bubbler, but isn't happy if it gets under the waterfall. the water hyacinth couldn't care either way!
by Karrie on July 25, 2006 09:04 AM
Kimmy, I got my rock from I think it was chacktaw trucking. I paid 90 dollars for about 2 tons delivered. You can go load your own there though, and just be charged about 5 dollars per ton. No truck so I had to pay the delivery charge. Have you looked at D's nursery by Riggs? They have some rock. I cannot find any water plants here though. I am looking at ordering online. I had the worst time finding plants at all around here. The nurseries are not well stocked on much other then the basics and their color schemes are pretty pink! Daylillies were awful, if you didn't want gold, orange, or red stella's you could forget it. It seems to me most folks put in the basic shrubs from what I can tell, although their are a few beautiful colorful yards here and there.

Oh, also there is a good lil place on your way to Tiptonville, they mostly sell pipe and coverts, but I saw they had a decent supply of rocks out front too. I don't know about you but I just hate Jackson and Memphis. Thinking about trying Union City this weekend for School shopping.

Do you have any lil ones at home?

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by jakesangel on July 25, 2006 09:15 AM
You know I was coming to post that I had forgot about the the nursery in Tiptonville on the way to the lake! Is that the one you're referring to? It's on the main road and has a beautiful pond set up out front. I had forgotten about that place!
Oh I hope they have something..I'm gonna look them up and call here in a bit. I'll let you know what I find out.

My hubby had priced some rock at D's (I wanted fieldstone 2 in thick) and when I went Sunday with him to check it out, all they had left was the really thick huge stuff.

I hate driving in Jackson but noting is worse than Memphis. You can get a migraine just tryin to survive the interstate there! lol

I have a 15 yr old and a 12 yr old. One is ready for school to start and the other could care less if he sees school again. lol
How old are yours?

-
Country Roads  -
by Karrie on July 26, 2006 04:57 AM
Mine are 6 and 4. That 15 year old wouldnt be a girl would it? I need a baby sitter! lol Are they in the city schools?

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by eclo on July 26, 2006 05:26 AM
Jakesangel...

quote:
if the offer is still open I would love to try water lettuce.
PM me with your address and I'll get some on the way [Smile]

See Ya in the Garden!
by Jiffymouse on July 26, 2006 06:37 AM
i'll send water lettuce and water hyacinth also. just pm me.
by jakesangel on July 26, 2006 07:42 AM
Oh you guys are so sweet! Thank you Thank you! PM'ing now!

Karrie as a matter of fact..the 15 yr old is a girl! And she needs a job! lol My kids go to county tho.
I'm taking her for her permit today..for the 3rd time. lol Let's hope she passes it this time. *crosses fingers*

-
Country Roads  -
by Karrie on July 26, 2006 07:58 AM
All the luck in the world to her. What is county school for High School? My son goes to Holice Powell, so I know he is not in the city limits. I thought they all had to go to the same high school though.

We need to get together because I would offer her some part time employment. We don't go out often but I do pay good when I do. We have a nice girl who does it but she lives 35 minutes away, and its an anoying drive. I don't mind to drive 15 minutes or so to get them but that whole 35 minute drive just kinda puts a damper on going out.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Karrie on July 26, 2006 11:06 AM
Jiffy could I get some hyacinth ? Please, I will gladly pay shipping. If you have enough to spare. My fishies could use the shade. I have been useing a chair to sit over half the hole to shade them in so far. That and I got one of those fake water lillies, they look pathetic trying to both hide under it though.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by jakesangel on July 26, 2006 11:58 AM
Karrie I'm going to PM you. I asked her and she said she would love to babysit. [thumb]

-
Country Roads  -
by Jiffymouse on July 27, 2006 12:51 AM
karrie, pm me your addy
by jakesangel on July 27, 2006 08:58 AM
Karrie I got ahold of the guy in Tiptonville and he has lilies! He said he had 1 or 2 blooming now in the pond out front. He alos has the fieldstone I'm wanting but he's higher than Stanfield's.
Looks like we'll be heading out that way tomorrow!
[clappy]

-
Country Roads  -
by Jiffymouse on July 27, 2006 02:47 PM
i'll try to get plants in the mail this weekend. been working longer hours than usual. just be patient!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My New Treasures!| Next thread: My old bed! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: