The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

DIGGING QUESTION HERE!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Digging daffodil bulbs| Next thread: DIGGING QUESTION HERE!! »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by Nashir on July 16, 2006 12:20 PM
Hi, am new to this post so please be nice [Embarrassed] ...i think u will , anyways am 16 years old, and i have already started diggind myself a pond, 7x7 feets,, problem is how deep should i dig it, and rite now i am about 12 inches at the deepest, how long would it take me to dig 3 feet, and how many small goldfish would a 7x7x3 pond hold?? also one more question? is it really neccesary to have a filter and a pump thingy??? or is there some way around it? as u can see...me bieng a 16 year old, i dont earn enough money...any digging tips ppl????ANY help would be deeply appreciated! thnx in advance
by Nashir on July 16, 2006 12:31 PM
Can anyone help????really desperate!!!
by Karrie on July 16, 2006 12:35 PM
Well you can dig it as quick as you chose to work. Its hard work indeed, but good for you! You are taking on a large task, and for it to successfully hold fish you are going to need a liner of some sort, and yes sorry to say a pump. The fish need it to circulate the water, you should also put in some plants for oxygen. I know some people who use the black plastic paper you get from stores like wal mart or lowes. Its usually like 6mm I would suggest you use the thickest you can find, its cheap. As for pump and filter, there is a great post here on how to make your own filter, but the pump is a cost. Mom and dad wont spot you the money for the effort your putting in. I know I sure would be willing to support my kids in such and endeavor. Its a great way for a kid to spend their time. As far as plants I am sure once you get that far some of us here will try to help with that issue, with your folks consent of course. I suggest you talk to mom and dad see if they can help you out with the cost. If you work hard and promise to finish the task I bet they will. Good luck and keep on digging! Also I dont know your weather but I would suggest 2.5 to 3 ft minimum for that length and width.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Karrie on July 16, 2006 12:36 PM
Some times it take awhile for someone to reply to your post, these arent like a chat room.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by loz on July 16, 2006 12:37 PM
What kind of winters do you have there????? My pond book says that if you live where there are bad winters it needs to be 3 feet deep in the middle for the fish to survive. We have bad winters here and are planning to make the pond much bigger and much deeper in the autumn right before winter hits.

My pond isn't very big right now....it's about 6 by 4 feet and 20 inches deep........and I don't have a filter in mine.....I do use a solar fountain to help oxygenate the water for the fish.

Here's a link to my pond topic...

my pond

Oh, I have 4 goldfish(one died this morning), and about 12 mosquito fish, but one of them just had babies. That's a lot for a small pond, but it will be bigger soon. And I have 4 water snails and a bullfrog....The bullfrog found the pond by itself. [Big Grin]
by Nashir on July 16, 2006 12:39 PM
thnx a lot karrie, i was thinking 3 feet too but the ground is full of rocks, and the pump, i was just hoping to save some money, weather heres HOT! hm.. i suppose i DO need to spend money then hehe...
by loz on July 16, 2006 12:40 PM
BTW, this is my pump.......

solar pump

Once you pay the inital cost of buying it you won't be paying more electric costs, but it only works when it's sunny and not at night.
by loz on July 16, 2006 12:42 PM
The only thing my pond cost me was for the solar pump, fish, and plants. I got the liner for free.....

But you can make the pond without spending much money.... [thumb]

Good luck with the digging...it's pretty rocky here too.....no easy way around it either, just got keep digging it out!
by Nashir on July 16, 2006 12:42 PM
thnk u loz...the coldest the winters get is 15 C, no frozen water AT ALL...hehe...oh also u mentioned u dont have a filter, wat if i arrange a way to put in fresh water every second day, would that keep the fish alive??? instead of using a pump??
by Karrie on July 16, 2006 12:43 PM
My pond in Indiana didn't have a filter other then the one attached to the pump in it, and it did fine till we put in fish, but our fish mutiplied like crazy so a filter became necessary.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Nashir on July 16, 2006 12:46 PM
wut exactly does a filter do?? and wat if i arrange a way to put in fresh water every second day, instead of installing a pump would that keep the fish alive???thnx for ur help again
by Nashir on July 16, 2006 12:53 PM
oh alos wuts a "Skimmer", and loz, where does all the water u put in thro the solar pumpp go? ??
by afgreyparrot on July 16, 2006 01:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nashir:
wut exactly does a filter do?? and wat if i arrange a way to put in fresh water every second day, instead of installing a pump would that keep the fish alive???thnx for ur help again
A filter...well, it filters all the dirt stuff, fish poop, etc. out of your water to keep it clean. If you don't have a filter you will get some bad algae pretty fast. If you put in water every second day you are going to have a big expense in the conditioner that you have to add to the water to get the chlorine, etc. out of it, unless you have another source for your water besides the garden hose. Your fish can't live in water that has all those chemicals in it that they add to drinking water.

quote:
how many small goldfish would a 7x7x3 pond hold??
That's almost the size of the first pond I had.
I bought 5 little goldfish to put in it.
Those 5 fish had a LOT of babies in the spring, and now I have about 75 goldfish, and have had to build a huge pond for them. [Roll Eyes]
How Not To Build A Pond

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Nashir on July 16, 2006 01:32 PM
hmm thnx mate!!!!really appreciate it!
by loz on July 16, 2006 01:44 PM
My solar fountain pump just sprays the water in the air and back in the pond, to keep the water oxygenate.....still water is not good for the fish....

My pond doesn't have a shallow end for the fish to mate in so I haven't had golfish babies......the whole pond is 20 inches deep.

I top off my pond every single day in the summer because of evaporation.

When we make the new pond though I will be adding a filter and electric pump. I wish I would've done that with this small pond actually.

Have you thought about maybe just having a whiskey barrel pond?
by Nashir on July 16, 2006 01:45 PM
HEY how come loz get her pond without a filte and a pump, but just a fountain???and u pretty sure my fish wont live in garden hose water??...is a filter one of those things u put in the kitchen??
by Nashir on July 16, 2006 01:49 PM
by the way grey parrot ?? i read ur other posts and saw ur home made filter!!!...how can i make one??
by Nashir on July 16, 2006 01:51 PM
and loz... a whisky barrel pond wont be fun at all!!! lol
by Nashir on July 16, 2006 01:53 PM
ha too much reasearch for today..will check this site again tomoroow.very helpful ppl here [Big Grin] ...ill gfo sleep now its 4:53 AM!!!!
by Jiffymouse on July 16, 2006 02:38 PM
i have a "whiskey barrel pond" that isn't a barrel at all. it is a plastic tub that is about 2 feet deep. i have 10 fish right now and a pump, but no filter. i am going to have to add a filter though. although, with enough plants you can get away with postponing the filter.

if my geography is right, you will have a problem with water loss due to evaporation if you don't have enough plants. and even then, you will have some. isn't Qatar considered an arid country?

as for the water, you need to find out if the water from your garden hose is treated with chlorine or chloramine. or if it is not treated at all (if it is straight from a well). if it is treated, you will need water conditioner, and you will need to plan the water so that you have some conditioning to add. if it is treated with chlorine, you can just let it sit overnight. if it is chloramine, you need to purchase a chemical for it. hope this helps.
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 12:05 AM
thnx a lot...and yes qatar IS a very hot country, dunno wut arid means [Razz] , by the way, "it is treated with chlorine, you can just let it sit overnight"???REALLY? i suppose ill have to add plants then...thnx for the help
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 12:12 AM
hmmmmm....so a pump is not really needed too, if u put in water every day?? or find sumthing to keep the water moving???
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 01:40 AM
OHH AND ANOTHER BURNING QUESTION!!!, DO I NEED A FILTER IF I GET FILTERED WATER VIA THE GARDEN HOSE, i just found out that water from our garden hose is ALREADY filtered... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] , i still dont get the job of a pump then :S, cya am gonna go back to some extensive diggin, arrgh these blisters are annoying!
by Jiffymouse on July 17, 2006 03:51 AM
you have to have the pump. it causes the water to mix with air, something the fish need. it is an absolute necessity.

and if the water from the hose is filtered, is is "treated" or "softened"? if it comes from a deep well (i'm guessing it does) or if it is piped in, usually chemicals are added to make the water taste good and/or to counter the iron and minerals that is usually in water. if the water is treated or softened, you will have to address that too, as the chemicals used to soften the water are bad for fish.

and arid means dry. desert like. one more thing, if you don't mind. it is easier to read your posts if you don't use all caps except for one or two words for emphasis.
by loz on July 17, 2006 03:51 AM
Well a pond filter is really a good thing, it helps get rid of all the fish poop and other yucky things..... [thumb]

Adding water once each day doesn't make up for having your water moving all day......the bubbles from a fountain adds oxygen to the water throughout the day.

And I'd get some pond plants...that is a good shady place for fish to hide, and it helps the ecological balance of the pond.
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 03:56 AM
HAH!...water comes from the SEA here [Wink] ...u see QATAR is SORROUNDED BY SEA...its comes from a disallination plant, and is filtered before it gets to the taps...its free so i can just leave in the piper all day long (H) hehe, and by the way, where does all ur excess water go???...yeh loz am thinking of planting plants, and gud news ppl!!!....my digging is 45% done!!! [thumb] ONE MORE DAY i and ive done digginG!...one stupiod question really, do turtles require the same things, pumps filters, or can they live normally??
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 03:58 AM
sorry jiffymouse about the caps [lala] ...am only 16, i get excited very fast lol [Big Grin] [wavey] [clappy]
by loz on July 17, 2006 04:05 AM
Well a real pump will sit in the pond and suck water up through it....then spit it out into the pond...so there is no extra excess water, it's just getting sucked in, and pushed out repeatedly.........

Are your parents excited about the pond too?
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 04:19 AM
my dads actually quite supportive :thumbsup: my mom doesnt mind, my 14 year old brothers helping a lot in the digging, and my friends think i wont be able to make it [Big Grin] still 47% done [Big Grin] hehe...wut bout turtles?
by loz on July 17, 2006 04:21 AM
Here's an older topic.......

turtles

Glad your family is supportive....Luckily my husband dug our pond out........I'm a weakling.
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 04:43 AM
LOL i am skinny and underwieght [Razz]
but AM the one digging the hole LOL!, and I am really proud of the depth i have i have reached, i think its 1.5 to 2 feet deep [Smile] ...now ill read about the turtles..coz am taking a break from diggin! hehe
ill post pictures up of my hopefully beautiful pond [Razz] (soon)
by loz on July 17, 2006 04:48 AM
Great, you'll be proud of yourself when it's all done.

Do you have a good pond liner? And it's good to have an underlayment before putting the liner down........some kind of padding. We just used some old thin carpet.
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 04:52 AM
i have a thick clear plastic sheet, its not being used so i thought id use it...its pretty thick, and as for padding, ill use the soild i dug out??? its would be just the soil without the stones and rocks...but i must admit, diggin is a hard job..i dug 4 hours yesterday (when i started) and 3 hours today.. i think ill do 5 hours diggin today....anyways? did u get blisters too while digging or is it only me??
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 04:54 AM
by the way...i think ill buy myself a pump hehe, its worth it! altho due to lack of choice in the shop (theres only one petstore which is in the town 6 km away) i will haev to spend loads from my saving! [scaredy] [thinker] [Mad] [tongue]
by loz on July 17, 2006 04:54 AM
I used roofing rubber for our liner......it will last for a long time. The thicker the better. [thumb]

I did get blister when I dug out the flowerbed that the pond went in. That was hard working digging up the grass.....but like I said my husband dug the actual pond out.

How hot is it over there today? And what time is it? It's 11:54 AM here.
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 04:56 AM
its getting cooler now maybe 30-38 degrees Celcius, and its 7 pm here getting dark..but ive got lights in my backyard so its not a problem
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 04:58 AM
also we only have a patch of grass hehe...but the harder work is digging out the ground here! theres like these 2 layers of marble and limestone just 5 inches below surface :|
by loz on July 17, 2006 05:20 AM
Wow, that's pretty hot!!!! I had to find the celsius to fahrenheit converter, but that's from the high 80's to 100's! It's about 86 here right now, but VERY humid.

Keep on digging, you'll get it done! [thumb]
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 05:52 AM
MY MY MY...i just descovered this floor od ROCK!..solid hard...under THAT is the easy thing to get out...clay [Razz]
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 10:04 AM
Hey all, is it easy for a small sharp kinda rock to tear thro the plastic liner????
by loz on July 17, 2006 11:52 AM
Sure it is, especially with all the weight of the water on the liner. That's why it's best to have a thick liner, and an underlayment....something on the ground under the liner as a cushion sort of.
by Nashir on July 17, 2006 11:58 PM
now that i have nearly finished digging...how will i keep away the cats from the fish? 2 feet is not deep enough for a cat to go in a attack fish is it? do u recommend i go dig a bit deeper??
by loz on July 18, 2006 04:38 AM
Are there a lot of cats around there?

My pond is 20 inches deep and with all the plants I think the cats have a hard time getting to them......
by Nashir on July 18, 2006 05:04 AM
WOW!!!! I HAVE FINSISJHED DIGGIN!...the deepest part is around 30 feet deep, and on average its around 22 feet deep!!! i feel do proud
PS: there is one HUGE rock in the middle becoz of which the average depth is not as deep as it couldve been, and also i still have to paste a thick layer of sand on the rocks and then its ready!! hopefully, by tonite i will put in the water, and in one weeks time i will have fishes, turtles and a pump ofcourse in there!!! thnx for ur help evreyone, and loz, there ARE a lot of cats around, but now my "pond" is deep enough to survive there attack [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by Nashir on July 18, 2006 05:12 AM
[IMG]F:\Pond building!\DSC01514.jpg[/IMG] THATS me proud of wat i dug!!!heheits knee depth which makes it 2.5 feet deep?
by Nashir on July 18, 2006 05:13 AM
how do i post up pictures? :S
by loz on July 18, 2006 05:24 AM
how to post pictures

It'll explain it all to you, you need a free photo account like photobucket....do you have a digital camera?
by afgreyparrot on July 18, 2006 06:33 AM
quote:
PS: there is one HUGE rock in the middle becoz of which the average depth is not as deep as it couldve been, and also i still have to paste a thick layer of sand on the rocks and then its ready!!
Do you have any old used carpet somewhere that you could use under your liner, to keep the rocks from cutting through it?

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Nashir on July 18, 2006 06:46 AM
thnx both,,,yea i took a picture , and i found a way to stop the rock cutting thro, one more question tho...can i put in the pump and filter later?? i mean: put in water today, and put in pump filter and fishes next week? it wont be hard to do that would it? sorry if my question isnt clear... [Big Grin]
by Jiffymouse on July 18, 2006 06:59 AM
yes, that is a perfect way to do it. let the water "settle" first. good luck and congrats on the finished project!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Digging daffodil bulbs| Next thread: DIGGING QUESTION HERE!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: