The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

SAFER SPRAY AND PETS?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Sad Looking Dracena| Next thread: Sage »
Back to Thread index
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on May 10, 2006 09:45 PM
HELLO! [wavey]

I was wondering if anyone here has used Safer Spray for black spot on their roses even though the house pets may walk by the rose bushes??? Is this product safe to use around dogs and cats? If not...does anyone have a safe recipe for black spot on roses that does not involve any chemicals that could even slightly hurt a pet [shocked] ...I have a dog with a heart murmur and am scared to use anything at all besides soap and epsom salts... but that is for the aphids...not black spot??? Please help....any info. would be appreciated!!! [wavey]
by The Plant Doc on May 11, 2006 12:11 AM
Holly...
As far as I know Safer spray is an insecticide, not a fungicide, so unless they have a product that i don't know about I doubt it would do any good. Even though it is totally safe for your pets. Most fungicides have a danger rating to them for one reason only, that they are an eye irritant, and cause blindness in its straight form. I would check with your vet and ask him his opinion. Once sprayed, and dried I think it should be safe because I seriously doubt the dog will try to eat a rose bush or even rub his face in it.
The only other thing that I can think of that may help is not to water the plant over the leaves in the sunshine and let a liquid fert touch the leaves. A properly fertilized plant can withstand disease attacks and sometimes not even get them.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by peppereater on May 11, 2006 04:10 AM
Safer has expanded there product line to include many things. If I remember right, their fungicide is a copper product, possibly copper oliate. It should be pretty safe, but I wouldn't let the pets contact it while it's wet, just to be safe. Copper is toxic to fish, though, so don't let it get in fish ponds. Neem is a natural fungicide, plant based, and non-toxic to humans, but I wouldn't let any pets contact any liquid sprays at all. Neem will also take care of aphids and mites.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Sad Looking Dracena| Next thread: Sage »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: