The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Unidentified green things!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by cookinmom on July 08, 2006 02:03 PM
I have another water lily question. I was just looking at mine a few minutes ago, and noticed that some of the leaves are really chewed up. This is the lily in a container. The leaves don't look like the ones in my pond where the snails snip off pieces while they're still rolled up. These were all leaves that are already on the surface. Anyway, I was pulling out some dead leaves and stuff, and there were these THINGS in the water. Green flat things, with weird shapes. Some of them were floating free (big ones, about 1/2" across). So I started looking further, and found some attached to some of the stems, and some attached to the underneath of some of the leaves. Sorry I don't have a picture. I'm not digital right now. Does anyone have any idea what these are? Are they bugs, or part of the plant? They looked like pieces of leaf material, but it was really weird. Are they what is eating holes in my plant?
[scaredy]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by kennyso on July 09, 2006 02:06 AM
I read somewhere about water caterpillars. They could be planarians (spelling). To see if they're planarians, split the head end in half about half an inch. If it becomes two heads, you've got planarians, just let them be. They won't bother you. If no, well, they're probably aquatic caterpillars.

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by kennyso on July 09, 2006 02:07 AM
Forgot to mention, spliting the heads of a planarian will no hurt them. They reproduce by pulling themselves into two, sorta like worms. you cut one in half, you get two worms!

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by cookinmom on July 09, 2006 05:17 AM
I went out and looked today in better light. The green things were actually pieces of my leaves, stuck together. When I squeezed one, a little white worm poked his head out! I guess something has laid eggs in my pond, and those must be some kind of larvae. Gross! I actually don't mind, except I don't want them devouring my lily!!!

-
by cookinmom on July 09, 2006 08:10 AM
Well, I found the culprit. Some nasty larvae. I guess the green things I was seeing was their little leaf-sandwiches they float around in. I picked them off, and dumped all the water out of my container and put fresh in it. I'll be keeping an eye out for these things in the future, that's for sure.

http://www.victoria-adventure.org/waterlilies_images/caterpillars/page1.html

Thanks, kennyso, for your suggestions. I would never have thought to google pond and caterpillars in the same search if you hadn't suggested that!!!

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: