The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

need help with growing lotus from seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by kennyso on July 07, 2006 12:36 PM
Hi, I have 3 lotus seeds which I have soaked for about two weeks now. One has cracked but nothing has happened since (a week or so) and the other two haven't even cracked! Today I found the seeds floating near the surface! I've been careful to change the water more than twice a day to make sure that it doesn't get a chance to get cloudy. I use warm water everytime. I'm stumped! I really want to be able to have a lotus plant...so any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you guys so much!

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by tkhooper on July 08, 2006 05:55 AM
Good luck with those. Where did you get the seeds? I'd like some of the seeds for the bowl lotus to try inside since I don't have anywhere to put a deep pond.

-
 -
by Gardencrazy on July 08, 2006 07:41 AM
Kenny, My best guess would be that they may have been scarified a little to deeply. Wish I could help more.
Donna

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by Merme on July 08, 2006 01:21 PM
Donna ~ could they have been damaged in the mail? They were the large lotus seeds I sent to him, which originated from you.

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by kennyso on July 08, 2006 01:58 PM
Merme, they seemed fine when I got them, no weird marks, or anything. They were all covered in a very small layer of white dust and they looked a bit paler than mosst seeds, but aside from that, they seemed fine. Maybe it was the dust that caused the fungus, therefore stopping sprouting? I made sure I rinsed the seeds out in warm water first.

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by Gardencrazy on July 10, 2006 07:01 AM
Merme, I really don't know what happened. I used a bubble mailer to insure they made it safely through the mail.

Kennyso, It is possible that the dust might have caused the fungus but I am unsure. I really have had no luck with the seeds myself.

Donna

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: