The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What a Store!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by plants 'n pots on June 15, 2006 10:45 AM
I wish you all could've been with me today!!! [dunno] This is in no way an advertisement for this store. I just wanted to share a very nice place that I found with you all.

Most of you know that I was going to a pond store in NJ this morning, after dropping Amy off at school for her test. It was an easy 1/2 hour drive to the place. When I turned into the site, there were gorgeous flowers in huge urns, and gardens along the roadside. It smelled really nice, too. Had to pull around to park way in the back.

Ok - so first you see a bunch of plant pools outside, while you walk up the walk to go indoors. Then you walk through a GINORMOUS double wide greenhouse FULL and BRIMMING with aquatic plants. The walkways are very narrow, and I could barely squeeze through, but I didn't mind a bit! I even got wet, but that's par for the course. They even had a section chock full of pitcher plants - very healthy too.

Then you come into an opening where the desk and register are, and there is a sign that says to take a number and then you will be paged. Since it was a slow weekday morning, no need for that. I walked through into the next double wide greenhouse JAM PACKED with more aquatic plants - everything your heart could desire!!! They even had 2 aviaries, but I only saw 1 cockatiel. There were so many plants in the cages and they were higher than my short 5'1", but it was nice to see.

Then you walk out of that greenhouse and into an outdoor area of pond forms, statues, and a few other goodies. Just past that is the indoor florist - WOWZERS did it ever smell yummy in there!!! Just past that... YES THERE WAS MORE!!! Was a beautiful, fully landscaped huge pond, with many large koi coming right up to the edge to greet you. I soon noticed that they had feed machines right nearby - no wonder the fish were so friendly!!! [Big Grin] A few scattered chairs and rock walls to sit on - some older couples were just taking it all in, and going through the catalogue. What a pleasant escape!

oh, yea... in the cashier area is a smaller room with koi fish from GIGANTASAURUS size to itty bitty 3 inch size - just beautiful!!! [Cool]

The staff could not be friendlier, and the owner was very pleased when I told him that I was sent there by one of my local nurseries. He offered me a catalogue - it's like a fancy magazine! [flower] There are directions about how to make a pond, with measurements and calculations.

Can you tell I was impressed? I asked if I could come back with my camera, and the owner was flattered. I told him it was just a cheapo thing - not professional by any means - the kid who helped me said that I could take pictures only if I included them in them! He was joking... I told him absolutely - I would want to show my friends here the friendly people at that place! [thumb]

By the way... I was able to go down the narrow walkway and hand pick the nice water hyacinth that I wanted - we must have gone through about 10 or so before I found one just the right size for the bathtub pond. Got some salvinia and a small bunch of parrots feather too - all for $12. Their prices haven't risen in about 5 years or so, they told me. So nice to hear, when all the nurseries here have dramatically raised their prices this year, including Home Depot.

Here is a link to their website, if you are curious. It hasn't been updated since 2004, but as I said, most of the prices are still the same. You can order a catalogue for $2.50, but I got 2 for free there. I would offer to share them, but it's pretty heavy and would probably cost that much just to mail!

Waterford Gardens

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by loz on June 15, 2006 11:57 AM
Wow Lynne, I could envision it all....I'm gonna check out their website...Thank you for your descriptive explanation of your day there.

It sounds so nice, I wish I could walk through it!
by SpringFever on June 15, 2006 01:00 PM
this place is the bomb!!! Love it gonna place an order!!! Thanks Lynne!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by afgreyparrot on June 16, 2006 04:21 AM
I would love to go into a store like that!
I would go absolutely hog wild in there! [grin]

I checked out the website but I'm out of their "2 Day" zone. [Eek!]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by cookinmom on June 16, 2006 09:26 AM
What a place. Going there would be like going on vacation! [clappy]
I'm outside the 2-day zone also. I might try putting in an order and see how much shipping would be anyway.

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Pianolady on June 16, 2006 06:29 PM
 -
Now that's my kind of place!

-
by plants 'n pots on June 17, 2006 12:46 AM
I'm glad you all liked it.
Sorry about the 2 day zone - I wasn't aware of that...

Here are my new plants when I first place them in their new home. The fish are loving more places to hide from me now! [Big Grin] I hardly ever get to see them at all - mostly only when I feed them! [dunno] [Roll Eyes]

-

(this was taken 2 days ago just after the rain - you can see the raindrops on the elephant ear leaves)

-
 -
by penny in ontario on June 17, 2006 02:13 AM
Looks great Lynne!

-
 -

-
by cookinmom on June 17, 2006 04:24 AM
Lynne, is that a gazing ball in a clump of grass at the back of the picture? It looks really neat!

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by plants 'n pots on June 17, 2006 05:07 AM
Hi Valerie!

The glass balls that you see, both in the sweet flag grass, and the pond,
came 3 strung in jute rope at Christmas Tree shops for $3.99.
 -

They sell these balls at the Jersey shore for SOOOOOO much more,
that I bought the trios and cut them out.
I've popped them into various places in the gardens.

-
 -
by loz on June 17, 2006 05:30 AM
It looks great Lynne!!! [thumb]

I need to see if they have a Christmas Tree Shop online..... [Big Grin]
by plants 'n pots on June 17, 2006 05:50 AM
Unfortunately, they don't loz.
But... I do think they are expanding, so you might get one down your way in a few years... [dunno]
My mom said they are opening one near them, on the other side of the river here - not her "cup of tea", but another one for me to explore when I visit my parents! [thumb]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on June 17, 2006 10:52 AM
Another place I have one of those glass balls...

-

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on June 18, 2006 03:29 PM
[thumb] wouldn't take much for me to be jealous!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: